SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
To remove the starter off my 88 5sp do I have to take the throttle body out? Since I had the flywheel cover pulled out enough to get to the starter bolts, I thought on yanking it out and having it checked. Correct me if I am wrong, but it is a rather time consuming operation which requires the throttle body to vacate the premises.

·
Registered
906 Posts
No, you do not have to remove the throttle body. It's a tight squeeze, but it will come out.

Remove the bracket at the end of the starter and toss it when you reinstall the starter. It's not necessary and will make life easier.

Once you've done it a time or two, changing out a starter can be done in 30 minutes or less.

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
philbert said:
No, you do not have to remove the throttle body. It's a tight squeeze, but it will come out.

Remove the bracket at the end of the starter and toss it when you reinstall the starter. It's not necessary and will make life easier.

Once you've done it a time or two, changing out a starter can be done in 30 minutes or less.
I disagree with tossing that bracket - it's important to keep the starter properly aligned with the flywheel or driveplate and helps prevent warping the casting at the front of the engine where the starter is secured with the two main bolts.

But yes the starter will come out fairly easily. The 84+ 900's had the repositioned starter and the starter itself is smaller and less heavy than the huge ones on the earlier-year 900's. I've replaced starters on both versions of the 'H' block and each is doable but the later version is certainly easier as you can do it all from above the engine bay and can mostly see where all the fasteners are.

Craig.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Cool! I shall see if I can yank the starter out of the car tomorrow. Right now it is a bit too wet for my taste. The Saab can stay out there under its cover in the rain while I sit here in the dry typing this. :cheesy:

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Instead of taking the starter out of my car, I took one of the 92 N/A that is sitting in the local yard... before it started raining. I took pictures and put in the little blog I am doing for the car. :eek:

·
Registered
2,986 Posts
Nice write-up on your starter removal. RE: the solinoid continuity--when you get a chance have the starter tested at a different store--the test machine used the first time might not have been set up right (no fault of the machine) causing the continuity to seem wonky...

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I hope the explanation is that simple. Before I became the owner of this Saab, me and the PO tried to start it and it would not turn the engine. I ruled out seized engine already, so it could be the starter. The solenoid signal wire is connected to the outer (away from engine) solenoid spade connector, but it worked happily with the inner one. To me it just reminded me of the starter test event... :eek:

·
Registered
906 Posts
c900 said:
I disagree with tossing that bracket - it's important to keep the starter properly aligned with the flywheel or driveplate and helps prevent warping the casting at the front of the engine where the starter is secured with the two main bolts. Craig.
Bosch made the recommendation to toss the bracket, not me.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Without taking sides, I had no problems taking the starter out with the bracket still attached to it. In fact, I would rather take the starter out of even my turbo 900 any day of the week than doing the one in my Volvo. I just do not like crawling under a car to get to the starter. Taking all the hoses out so I can get the clutch cover is still no picnic at all though.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Interesting thing I found: I finally got me a (factory!) Saab manual. All it is is the one that shows the differences between the 88 and the previous years. But, it has electrical diagrams. In one of them the wire to the solenoid goes to pin 50, which I found is the connector that is on the solenoid side closest to the engine. I cannot tell you what the other one is because I left my camera at home but I think it is 15a or something like that.

I can attest that if you power pin 50 in the starter, solenoid will engage.

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
"15" denotes a 12v power supply available during start and run positions. My old 8v turbo used to have a 15 pin on the starter -- it supplied power to the cold start valve.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That is good to know. Could you check what is the colour of this wire? I can only see one wire connected to the solenoid, the yellow one:

I honestly do not remember seeing another wire going to pin 50 when I took the starter out of the car. I wish I had brought the diagram with me...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts