SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm almost stuck, or maybe it's the starter that's stuck:) I'm in the middle of replacing the starter on my 84 900T. I was following some good info from the technical help section.
http://www.saabcentral.com/techhelp/c900/900_starter_diagnostics.php

The further I ripped into it, the more I realized, hey the starter isn't under the throttle body, it's on the opposite side. And it's REALLY in there. I've got it disconnected, and have removed all of the nuts/ bolts that could possibly connect the starter to the engine block and engine plate. There's just the 2 places for bolts in the front of the starter and 2 smaller bolts coming out of the back of it. Can anyone give me some advice as to what to do next? I'm considering removing the turbo to give me sore more room to remove the old one and install the new. Right now it doesn't want to budge. I just want to make sure that I have everything off of it before I go reefing around a little more on it. I've already busted one (old and brittle) fuel injector line.

Here's what it looks like right now.

·
Registered
3,720 Posts
Actually, I left the turbo in place on the exhaust pipe and removed the exhaust manifold to give more room (big hands). two small nuts on the back of the starter will let it come apart.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I took the 2 small nuts off of the back of it... Does it need a few good whacks with a rubber mallet? I'll try taking the manifold off.

·
Registered
704 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Got the starter off. Didn't need to take the manifold off. I did attempt to take it off, which loosened the turbo allowing me to move the hose around that was attached to the bottom of the turbo. That was the biggest problem. The darn hose was the only thing keeping me from pulling the starter out. I'm not sure if the 87's (the step by step I was looking at the guy was working on an 87) moved the starter and battery around to the driver's side or what.

Advice to others removing a starter on an 84 900T:

First put the car up on ramps- either jack stands or oil changing ramps. I found out that over half of my work needed to be done from underneath.

Remove the exhaust pipe coming off of the turbo that heads into the Catalytic Converter.

Remove the Exhaust Manifold if you need the room, but at least remove the 4 bolts that attach to the exhaust area off of the back of the turbo. Like I said, the hose to the turbo is in your way, but this'll give you enough room to squeeze by.

Oh buy a set of these: http://www.brandsplace.com/0246-kd-890040.html
Using allen wrenches is a pain. I will buy a set before I put this sucker back together. If I think of any other helpful hints I'll post them again. Maybe some pictures as well.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts