SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Short version: My starter is tired and needs a rebuild. Can I 'buy a clue' as to if I can remove it from under the hood or if I want to go to a friend's garage with a lift?!
Longer version: It grinds over slowly and for too long before it starts. It failed to start once this week, and I applied 12 volts directly to a solenoid terminal to start the car.

I plan to disassemble and clean the starter & solenoid, check the brushes, etc. IF I can remove it! (234k miles, have not touched the starter since we bought the car at 120k miles...)

(Dennis' writeup here is very good:
http://www.saabcentral.com/techhelp/c900/900_starter_diagnostics.php

Are there any significant differences between the 900 and 9000?)

I have a good local autoelectric rebuilding shop, if I get in trouble, but I am thinking that cleaning and replacing the brushes is $10 vs $120...

Any special tools? Torx drives, etc.?

Are the starter bolts accessible from the front / timing belt end or the bell housing / back end.

Thanks for any 'clues' / Saab 9000 secrets anyone can offer!

Regards,

'C' in NH, USA

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
If you have an air impact. It take 30 seconds to remove the two nuts on the starter. One 17 mm socket and another 15 mm socket I believe. Slip the air impact behind the engine in front of the firwall standing on the passenger side.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the tip.

I'm being brave and running one more errand today before starting the job. (I did pickup a 'tested used starter' for $35 from a local salvage yard. Hopefully I wont be installing it n the side of the road!)

Feeling lucky, but trying to remember a time in my life when 'getting lucky' meant something different...

;-)

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Do disconnect the battery first before you attempt it. Next remove the two wires on the starter. The yellow wire to the solenoid need a 10 mm socket. The thick battery cable 13 mm socket. Good luck.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts