SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My lovely Saab has decided to have the fuel pump die, then as soon as it was fixed the radiator blew a hole, and now its fresh out the shop and it wont start. Car shop says my battery is fine, and my alternator appears to be fine but to check the starter motor, that it possibly has loose or dirty connection or is failing. It will start sometimes.... Can anyone help me on the location of this ? I have yet to have a picture or some sort of visual aid to locate the thing. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
I just changed my starter, $85 for a rebuilt Bosch. The starter is located on the back side of the block, driver side. Easily accessible from under the car and can be removed through the bottom of the car. Saab starters are small, kind of fits in the palm of your hand...That being said, you almost never hear of Saab starters failing, it's usually a bad battery cable...
The starter is at the left of the photo below...

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
I just changed my starter, $85 for a rebuilt Bosch.
Wow, that's a good deal...i paid $165 here in Cincinnati for exactly the same thing....sounds like I got hosed!

Rshaw08 - definately clean the starter (ring) connectors and the studs on the starter first. I prolonged my starter life by almost 3 years (mine finally died a week ago). Don't forget to remove the negative battery cable first! Also clean the battery connections as well.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts