SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im in the process of changing the starter solenoid on my 89 900 turbo.I have the solenoid changed out but now I have to put the starter back in.It looks doable with out the bracket but next to impossible to get it back in with the bracket.I have heard a rumor that you can remove the bracket and keep it off.Will that hurt anything?Also which pin does the signal wire go on? 50 or 15?thanks in advance.

·
Registered
13,112 Posts
Put it back on, the thin aluminum plate the starter's bolted to can flex when the starter is under load without the bracket. Rarely, the plate can break or bend, damaging the starter drive or ring gear.

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
I would take the time to put the bracket back on, I had a gable-plate in my hands today and can tell you first-hand, I could fold that thing in half with very little effort. If the plate bends at all you will find yourself replacing the starter again............and again.................just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
When I replaced the starter on my t16, I noticed the bracket wasn't bolted to the block. Maybe that contributred to the starter's downfall? Anyway, I took no chances and replaced those missing bolts.

·
Registered
3,529 Posts
The rear bracket for the starter should ALWAYS be replaced properly. The torque of the starter is more than enough to cause the sliding engagement gear to go out of alignment with the driveplate or flywheel, and that will result in damage to teeth on one or both devices.

Doing something properly will ensure that there aren't any unforseen problems occuring further down the track, and starter replacement isn't something you'd want to be doing regularly. :cool:

Craig.

·
Registered
906 Posts
The bracket is not necessary. The new Bosch replacement starters do not even have the mounting bolts for the bracket.

But I guess Bosch (and Saab for that matter for approving the change) don't know any better?

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
philbert said:
The bracket is not necessary. The new Bosch replacement starters do not even have the mounting bolts for the bracket.
Not all of them, apparently -- the brand new Bosch I bought a couple of months ago had the bracket mounts.

·
Registered
3,529 Posts
SpecialTool said:
Not all of them, apparently -- the brand new Bosch I bought a couple of months ago had the bracket mounts.
I think that the smaller/lighter starter motors used on the 85+ blocks probably might not require as much torque bracing as the older/heavier starters that mount under the exhaust side of the engine.

Still, if the engine is designed to have the back of the motor bracketed, it should be bracketed.

Craig.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
Without taking sides I can state that it is not bad at all to take the starter with the bracket attached to it. You have to back it out and tilt the bracket side down as you do it. Then, you will find out you can slide it down, tail first, and out of the car. IMHO, the most time consuming part was to get the clutch cover out. By comparison, getting starter out was fast.

·
Registered
3,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The guide for changing the starter says it can be done with the throttle body still in place.The next time you need to change a starter just remove the throttle body.Its so much easier.There is plenty of room to position the starter even with the bracket in place.So just remove the throttle body and save yourself a lot of headaches.

·
Registered
3,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
son of a ..... it seems that the fuel pump that was buzzing before decided to die after I got the car back together.Does anyone know if a the fuel pump from a 1990 900 non turbo can work in a 1989 900 turbo?If so my red car that was going to be a rally car seems like its going to be a parts car...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts