SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1999 Saab 9-3 HOT, 5spd manual.

MBC+A, Forge BOV, Open air intake.

Today, while driving, I accelerated in 5th to pass on the freeway. Pressure shot up as normal, and held just a bit into the red, as I have it set with the MBC+A. After a couple seconds, there was this LOUD WHOOSH sound and I lost pressure. Under hard acceleration, I can get it to go into the +pressure on the gauge, but no farther, and there's this loud whoooooooooosssshhh sound coming from the engine, as if something's not holding the pressure.

I took out the MBC+A and blew into the hoses, and each holds pressure as it should. I also tried putting back the Bosch BPV to see if that made a difference. It didn't.

Anyone have any suggestions?

The car is drivable and seems totally OK except I can't get any pressure to build up. Just a whoooosh sound.

·
Registered
5,975 Posts
Take the plastic cover off the inlet manifold and check all the hoses, they tend to dry out and crumble over time, i've had several intermittent boost leaks for about the last 6 months, found the last one after my first session on a rescent track day, thought wo hoo sorted, until i got out on the track and another boost leak appeared:roll: .

Once i get somewhere sorted to work on the car i'll be replacing all the stock vac lines with new ones.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, I replaced the vac line that goes to the BOV, which broke open almost as soon as I touched it. Doing that showed no change whatsoever.

Does anyone have any pictures that they could show me of the hoses that could be in question? Or possibly more detailed locations? I'm guessing the problem lies somewhere after the Turbo, but before the BOV. Just a guess.

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
There are several rubber connectors between the turbo and IC and IC and delivery pipe - tricky to get to without removing the front bumper. A large loss of boost would point to one of these.

·
Registered
771 Posts
Shirozina said:
There are several rubber connectors between the turbo and IC and IC and delivery pipe - tricky to get to without removing the front bumper. A large loss of boost would point to one of these.
yeah def blew out an ic hose, went through two this summer, theres really 3 that you need to pull off and inspect, you can only get to one without pulling the front bumper off, and thats the one from the turbo to the ic pipe

if you look on ebay you can find that pipe pretty easy its just a 90 degree bend 2" hose, the other hoses are kinda oddballs

·
Registered
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Got it under control. Thanks you guys for helping me out and pretty much saying EXACTLY what it was.

Turns out that one of the IC hoses did, indeed, blow off. Brought it to my mechanic (I didn't really want to fuss with removing the bumper), and they had it fixed in about 30 minutes.

She's back to being speedy again.

Thanks again for all the input and help! It's much appreciated!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts