SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks,

Had lowered suspension for a while (Kilen -25mm springs & Bilstein shocks) and whilst it's a great drive on fresh straight smooth tarmac, on the other 99.9% of the UK's roads it's crashy, uncomfortable, and impractical (speedbumps and big compressions mean road/skidplate interfacing :( ). Not to mention the 16s rubbing on the rear arches.

So as a compromise I'm going to go back to standard non-lowered springs (which I really wanted at the time TBH).

Has anybody done this? How did it work out? I just can't fling the car down the lanes as it is because of the worry of compressions bottoming out the car (have had a few worrying moments because of this :eek:).

Is this the stuff that I should go for? Are these the original spec springs?

http://www.partsforsaabs.com/product_info.php?cPath=2_160_348&products_id=1909
http://www.partsforsaabs.com/product_info.php?cPath=2_160_348&products_id=1916

What's the difference between the convertible springs and the others? Are all the rear springs the same?

·
Registered
10,081 Posts
fliptopbin said:
Hi folks,

Had lowered suspension for a while (Kilen -25mm springs & Bilstein shocks) and whilst it's a great drive on fresh straight smooth tarmac, on the other 99.9% of the UK's roads it's crashy, uncomfortable, and impractical (speedbumps and big compressions mean road/skidplate interfacing :( ). Not to mention the 16s rubbing on the rear arches.

So as a compromise I'm going to go back to standard non-lowered springs (which I really wanted at the time TBH).

Has anybody done this? How did it work out? I just can't fling the car down the lanes as it is because of the worry of compressions bottoming out the car (have had a few worrying moments because of this :eek:).

Is this the stuff that I should go for? Are these the original spec springs?

http://www.partsforsaabs.com/product_info.php?cPath=2_160_348&products_id=1909
http://www.partsforsaabs.com/product_info.php?cPath=2_160_348&products_id=1916
Yep, they're the ones I put in the rear of mine, together with the Sachs sport dampers & a rear re-bush.

On the original, saggy springs & dampers, I was regularly grounding the centre mudflaps and on occasion the nose shield. Not at all now. It's much tighter and better controlled. The ride's still not great, but I'm coming from hydraulic Citroens... Bear in mind, though, I've not had a go in one with lower/stiffer springs/dampers. I certainly wouldn't want to go a lot harsher, let's put it that way.

What's the difference between the convertible springs and the others? Are all the rear springs the same?
They say "All models", so...

·
Registered
86 Posts
Hi
I also went down Klien route and regretted it.
Also solved my upgrade with those springs from PFS. They ride higher and the car is much more comfortable.
The car isn't that bad in the corners which is a nice suprise.
But then i'm not such a boy racer anymore...
Please pass the pipe and slippers...
Cheers - JK

·
Registered
424 Posts
Has anyone tried the SPG spec springs--I have looked for them and so far have not found any. They are a bit lower than the other models, and I would suppose, a bit stiffer--but more compliant than Kilens would be.

If any of you gents know where to source them, I would be grateful.

Cheers!

·
Registered
86 Posts
Well i did try and find the Saab Aero Sports Suspension springs direct from Saab, but they where nearly a £100 per corner... So went for the PFS replacements instead and have been quite happy... Quite significantly cheaper.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Thanks! $148/spring for the rears is a bit "stiff" no pun intended......:cheesy:

·
Registered
3,701 Posts
I hear you on the cost issue. It's the only site I could find that sold SPG springs though.

If ride height is an issue than I'd recommend adding spacers instead of swapping out springs. sasab.com sells stackable spacers. Just a thought.

·
Registered
193 Posts
I recently went for new standard springs at the back, and I'm really pleased with the results. I dont scrape on speed bumps any more, the ride height looks right, the nose doesn't point at the sky when you fill the boot or floor it, and it drives better too...

·
Banned
7,270 Posts
These are the springs going into my Carlsson when I eventually get it back on the road.

They're from Malbrad (http://www.malbrad.co.uk) He had them copied from a set of new sports springs
bought from the Saab dealer. They're not as cheap as the kilien or the PFS 'replacement' springs but
they are cheaper than the springs from the Saab dealer and they have been made to the same spec.
I know of two other people who've bought a set of these but only heard back from one guy who'd fitted
them - I seem to remember they went onto a Carlsson and he thought they were great and solved all
his problems. Mine are still waiting to go on and the other chap is also in the middle of a long project so
no results from him either. I fitted the PFS springs to my dads car and I think it rides a bit higher than
what looks best from the outside (from a styling point of view) and it is a bit 'crashy' over imperfect
surfaces (I guess you're never going to get away from that with c900 suspension!) but it does
not hit the ground and speed-bumps are easy. For everyday driving it is much, much better to have
springs which are more like the standard ones. Your handling will gain a bit of body roll but really the car
almost glides around corners instead of the more solid feeling you get from kiliens. The fronts are PFS
'sport' spec and the rears are PFS 'universal' as they don't list anything else. I'm not sure how they're
going to compare to the springs I have from Malbrad but I have a feeling the Malbrad ones are going
to be better... I don't know why... It's just a feeling I have...!

·
Registered
86 Posts
Oh!! Very nice from the chaps at Malbrad, a friend bought his (1993) 900SE from them and even drove his car across the country for them to service it... either mad or has too much time on his hands.
I would be very interested in your opinion of these when they get fitted. Especially as you have easy access to a car with PFS replacement springs as a comparison....

·
Registered
129 Posts
Are the Kilen springs progressive? I just ordered a set of Intrax - they will be replacing my sagging, crashy SPG ones I have now. The Intrax are progressive so I'm hoping to get improved handling and ride.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Interesting responses chaps.

I may look into those Malbrad ones too - the Kilens are great on a good road surface but how often does that happen? :roll:

How will the PFS/Malbrad springs work with my Bilstein Sport dampers?

·
Banned
7,270 Posts
I'm not sure if the Kilen springs were redesigned at any stage?

My set of springs never made the car that low. Now they're on my 99 and the car actually rides a little too high. I'm going to have to cut off a coil or two. Fliptopbin has had his Kilen's for a long time... much longer than I've had mine and I wonder if they changed the design at any point? When the Kilen's were in my 8v saloon I could eaisly cover most roads without worrying about grounding out and like I say, the 99 rides higher than it should now that it has the Kilen springs fitted. But maybe there is a difference between 900's and 99's in that respect?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts