SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i know not many of you are into 4x4s or rock crawling or rock racing, but i am. its my first passion, saabs are second hah.

so, why not combine the two into one.

so what im looking for is a way to control a B235R and the auto transmission from a 2000 9-5 aero in a buggy. take a look at this if you are confused.
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1068205

im wanting to know what is need to make the engine run and shift properly with the least amount of circuits and wires possible. i would want the tranny to be locked in sport mode, or if possible have a push button torque converter lock, but i dont know a lot about these autos, so i dont know what is all possible.

the buggy would be push button start and run all aftermarket gauges. i would like a check engine light and gearbox light, but no other idiot lights, and i would like the OBD II port to still work properly. if course it would be a custom tune with no rear O2 and no EVAP systems.

as far as stuff needed for the engine to run im thinking: MAF, MAP, DIC, AIT, Coolant Temp Sensor, Crank Position Sensor, O2, VSS of some sort to keep the tranny happy, Throttle Position Sensor, and. . ???

if anyone has any info on where i should start that would be awesome. im thinking this should be a pretty straight forward wiring harness, but, saab has a million wires and systems in their cars that scare me.

with a custom tune im hoping i can get rid of all the theft protection stuff, and all the other bull**** circuits in the car. i want a simple stand alone harness that will work well.

and im hoping with some mods ill be able to hit the 400+hp mark with this engine.

as for the buggy it will be much like the one in the post above. the transaxle gets torn apart and the center diff is welded up like a spool. the CV shafts are cut and machined to accept standard driveline flanges and the drivelines run to the front and rear diffs.

with stock 4.10 gears in the axle i should be able to crawl, and be able to hit 75mph around 7500 rpm, which would be well suited for what i intend to do with it.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
ok, i reread that. i dont want an aftermarket stand alone system running the engine. i want Saab T7 running the engine and transmission, i just want it weeded down to minimal circuits to be used in a buggy. i want the stock hardware and software, just with the minimal stuff to make everything happy.

im hoping i can get around the TWICE/DICE stuff, but i do have the stock key and transponder etc if thats not possible.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm a newb, and have learned very little about these Saab engines so far.

Do the Saab motors spin reverse like the old Hondas? If not, make sure you factor that into your plans.

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
If you want a rock crawler, consider a 5 speed and get 4.45's from GS. Dunno if a turbo in one of those is good or not, but go with a TD04 and keep the exhaust side small so you can have early spool as possible. Unless you can get a high stall converter in an auto, lag is something you'd probably want to avoid at all costs as these engines are only like 115HP when the turbo's not in boost. Also, a T5 engine will handle up to nearly 500 hp, whereas the T7 is 300 hp before you need to upgrade internals.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've run the numbers on using a manual and it would give me a 75:1 crawl ratio in 1st gear, it's not bad, but not ideal as well. Also building a shifter would be pretty tricky. And the was the engine would be orientated in the chassis i would be running the axle flipped to correct the rotation, it's been tried and works well with the axles I plan on using.

Also, talked to John Williams and he said to ditch the T7 engine idea because the wiring and electronics would be insane. So. I'm on the lookout for a T5 car.

·
Registered
19,178 Posts
Even if you go T5, I think you need at least the TWICE to make it run, although I do recall someone posting a bypass that could be done. You'd have to do some digging here, it was quite a while ago. With the T7 you'd need the DICE for sure, but with the T5 I don't think it's required (not sure).

How about a T5 2.3L B234? That gets you the 2.3L and the T5. You'd need to hang out somewhere like the 9000 group to check electronic details.

·
Registered
3,250 Posts
Dont have to worry about TWICE with T5

T5 has been put on many diff engines (not just saab)

Find yourself a b234 engine (much stronger, better oil pump.... just better)
then get ahold of a T5 setup (probly better to be OBDI so less emission control devices)
get T5suite and start tuning

1 - 7 of 7 Posts