SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there-- I am by no means a car expert, so bear with my terminology. I've owned my Saab 9-5 V6 year 2000 for about 6 years now. I have fixed quite a few problems in the last year. I have cleaned and replaced the neutral safety switch, replaced the crankshaft position sensor two years ago, just replaced the serpentine belt, greased some of the pulleys on the serpentine and also replaced the transmission fluid. I have also had my oil changed about a month ago. However, just recently I've been having a small problem.

When I start my car, it starts out fine, but as I begin to idle, you can hear the engine trying to keep the car going-- like it sounds like it is about to die. When I put the car in reverse and back up slowly, the car dies. It does start up right away when I put it back in park and gun the engine a little bit. It does not stall if I back up relatively fast. Also, when I begin to drive and move up in speed, there is a slight jerking sensation as it's shifting. It usually goes away as the car gets going for a while. I'm just curious if anyone has had the same problem, if it will get worse or if anyone knows what it is?

Also, on a side note-- I just "fixed" my blower motor in February (I had no heat for a few years and here in Minnesota it was cold!) I just removed the blower motor and installed new brushes and it was working beautifully. Just a few weeks ago, I realized the air was not blowing. It's not a problem now since it's 100 degrees outside, but I'm concerned for the upcoming winter. Any suggestions in this area as well?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
867 Posts
Vacuum leak, it really sounds like you have one somewhere.
is your CEL on? do you know if it has any codes?
I do know a vacuum leak can cause exactly what you described. if you gun it it gets enough vacuum to move the car but if not it stalls.
once at highway speed vacuum is enough to keep running but I bet your mileage has really dropped.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Thanks for replying. I searched a ton of forums and couldn't find a possible answer-- the vacuum leak seems to make sense. My CEL has been on ever since I bought it...it's been a while. I'm a college student with not a lot of spare cash, so I've been doing things here and there but haven't got the money to take her in. Is there anyway I can check to see if I have a vacuum leak? I'm a visual person, so any diagrams would be helpful. My mileage has dropped slightly which is unusual for it being summer...the car always seemed to burn more in winter. Thanks again!

·
Registered
867 Posts
Visually check all small hose in engine area including below throttle body.
Check inter-cooler hoses, (big ones).
After visual check you can use brake cleaner, spray it on hoses at various points, if engine revs up for second the leak is near where you sprayed.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts