SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Just a small issue before I service it. When I accelerate hard(ish) the engine stalls when the revs drop back down. The rev counter goes stright to 0.

The remedy is to put it into the next gear, and that keeps the engine going, but thats not always possible, for town driving etc..

Any ideas?

T16 M89 5 door :) and its lovely.

·
Registered
7,033 Posts
I don't think your throttle body has a dashpot per se, but there must be something there to control the return rate after WOT

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
clean your AIC valve or adjust the dashpot if you have one ... or might that be connected to correct throttle position sensor adjustment that translate decelaration (throttle suddenly shut closed) for the AIC ...

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
hi all, sorry I should say, my 7th Saab, my first T16! I am not up on all the termanology! Sorry.

·
Registered
5,464 Posts
Are you sure you got all the vacuum hoses back on properly?

On my 91 turbo if I put the vacuum advance on the wrong nipple I'll have problems with it stalling.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yeah, all done one at a time. I had a small valve on the top of the cam housing that looked like it only let the vacum one way (had an arrow on it) this broke. I have never seen it on any saab T16 pictures etc. It did not make a difference to the issue.

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
AIC sits near the camshaft cover, twoo tubes connectin to the throttle. dashpot - near the throttle stop screw that cushions the throttle when shut closed

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
KurBads said:
AIC sits near the camshaft cover, twoo tubes connectin to the throttle. dashpot - near the throttle stop screw that cushions the throttle when shut closed
ah cool.. Thanks. AIC hoses where replaced. Would the dashpot not have an effect on idle? (which is good)

How do u clean the AIC (and what does it stand for?)

I have some degreaser, and will get some carb cleaner..

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
jim_mcghee said:
ah cool.. Thanks. AIC hoses where replaced. Would the dashpot not have an effect on idle? (which is good)

How do u clean the AIC (and what does it stand for?)

I have some degreaser, and will get some carb cleaner..
carb cleaner fo AIC (if you got LUCAS then you can dismantle the AIC thus making it easer to clean, if Bosch then just pour some cleaner in ...

dashpot should not or just start to touch throttle stop while iddling ... it takes throttle stop when suddenly released and take the hit and then slovly releases to the complete shut position.

·
Registered
10,081 Posts
jim_mcghee said:
I had a small valve on the top of the cam housing that looked like it only let the vacum one way (had an arrow on it) this broke. I have never seen it on any saab T16 pictures etc. It did not make a difference to the issue.
My T16 (which had knackered original vac hoses) has got one, so it should be there.

AIC is Auto Idle Control, otherwise IAC - Idle Air Control.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
TooMany2cvs said:
My T16 (which had knackered original vac hoses) has got one, so it should be there.

AIC is Auto Idle Control, otherwise IAC - Idle Air Control.
cool.. do you know what it is? I can order one. Any photos at all?

·
Registered
10,081 Posts
jim_mcghee said:
cool.. do you know what it is? I can order one. Any photos at all?
It's a one-way valve to fit 'ickle vac hoses... <shrug> Can't imagine it's anything special.

As for pic...

Google Images for 900 T16 got this as the first result
http://galerie.saabsportclub.com/d/25340-2/moteur-900T16-1.jpg
Direct right of FPR, directly above back of aircon compressor, there's a small off-white thingy. That's just like mine.

This _is_ mine.
http://www.flickr.com/photo_zoom.gne?id=640278185&context=set-72157600518562961&size=o
Directly north of the S on the cam cover, hiding behind the hose wotnot.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
TooMany2cvs said:
It's a one-way valve to fit 'ickle vac hoses... <shrug> Can't imagine it's anything special.

As for pic...

Google Images for 900 T16 got this as the first result
http://galerie.saabsportclub.com/d/25340-2/moteur-900T16-1.jpg
Direct right of FPR, directly above back of aircon compressor, there's a small off-white thingy. That's just like mine.

This _is_ mine.
http://www.flickr.com/photo_zoom.gne?id=640278185&context=set-72157600518562961&size=o
Directly north of the S on the cam cover, hiding behind the hose wotnot.
cool thanks.. nice engine!

yeah its a strange little gate thing. I had never really spotted it before, and its never been on any othe the other c900's I have had, though all non turbos

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
TooMany2cvs said:
You don't want boost blowing INTO the crankcase. Leaky oil seals a-go-go!
Ah yes. I see now. time to hunt out the Bently and have a look fo rits name. It would effect anything other than that would it?

·
Registered
5,779 Posts
jim_mcghee said:
Could it be this ?

http://www.partsforsaabs.com/product_info.php?cPath=105_296&products_id=2497

PCV (Positive Crankcase Ventilation) Valve
Possibly - you can check that - take it off, make sure you can only blow one way, and that the way you can blow through goes from the valve cover to the intake (ie it's placed so that boost can't push air into the crankcase.

I think I said in another thread, though, this sounds like typical symptoms of a bad turbo bypass valve.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts