SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well i posted a while ago about my car stalling one day while it was idling and i was out of the car.

since then it has stalled several more times. it only happens at idle.

at first i thought it was my idle air controller, so i cleaned that (and man was it dirty) and thought i had fixed the problem. a few weeks later it did it again, and i started to worry. it's done it several times since then.

yesterday i changed my spark plugs, hoping this had something to do with it. the previous ones were horribly gapped, all somewhere around .056. i put the new ones in at .036, and the car was acting a little weird for the first start, but now seems to be running ok.

my question is: do you think the spark plugs were the issue, or could this be signs of a failing DI cassette?

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
You do ask the tough questions, Sacko

How long were the plugs in, and how long do they last ??
If the gap becomes too great, the plug will not fire and a cut-out or stalling occurs..

Some of these things are part of the 60K service, cleaning the IAC and the MAF..
I thought the DI cassette was supposed to last for 100K miles...

·
Registered
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just recently bought the car, so i'm not sure when the plugs were last replaced. I've put just under 10,000 miles on it since i bought it. total of 81,000 on the odometer.

i'm assuming that it's had it's 60,000 mile service done... maybe i shouldn't assume?

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
Might as well check all the vacuum hoses for cracks and that the PCV valve is functionning as a check valve while you are at it, and run a couple tanks with a good injector cleaner before starting on the expensive stuff like the DI cassette, CPS, fuel pump, etc.

You would think there would be a CEL, and a code for random misfire if the car was stalling at idle because of the plugs or injectors. I don't think there is a OBD II code for CPS specific failure, because that has nothing to do with emissions.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts