SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I cannot figure this one out.

My wife’s 95 Saab died on the highway. I come to give her gas, but notice its at a ¼ of a tank, and add the gas anyway. Go to start it and can’t even get the starter to turn over. So I figure a dead alternator, or a really bad battery leading to no power to the fuel injection. So I put the battery from my car in it and it starts up. Great! I put her old battery in mine cause its manual and I can push start it, but no need, It starts fine. So off we drive and 5 miles later, it conks out on her again. I cant get it to turn over at all so we call a tow.

The shop we took it to puts her old battery in, and it starts fine. They leave it running for an hour and call us up to say its fine. I say to drive it cause that’s when it breaks down. They drive it for, they say an hour, with no problem. Check the current coming out of the alternator and its fine (I am assuming what they did what they said, but could be wrong).

They didn’t charge anything, and we brought it home (1/4 of a mile), and are now in a pickle. She works an hour down the highway and doesn’t trust the car to get her there. I can’t find a shop that is willing to drive this thing till it dies, or at least not until next week sometime.

I will do a tune up, but there is nothing about a tune up that will alleviate the problem of her battery dying. I will put in a new battery, but don’t think that’s the problem cause when I put my battery in, the car started fine and then died (and when I put that battery back in my car it worked fine).

Does it have something to do with driving freeway speeds? Is it an electric fuel pump or injection? Why does the battery drain, but then work fine?

I am usually pretty sharp about car problems (if not apathetic to fix them).

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Mat

·
Registered
237 Posts
plugs and caps!!

hey there,

my car did the same thing, but only seemed to happen when i went at high speeds or over bumpy roads...but after having to tow it 3 times in one day, i left it at the shop with my mechanic, and turns out i just needed a new distributor cap...he changed my wires and plugs too jsut to be safe, but ever since then, ive had no more loss of power for no reason! i had my batt. and alternator and everything ealse checked too at the time, and they were all perfect in terms of voltage output. He found out it was the cap because there was a problem with it somewhere?

but hope that helps!! hopefully its just the cap and wires!! its a cheap fix!

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
The last time it died and you attempted to restart it, what kinds of lights lit up in the dash (if any?) - were there any lights when it died? The lights are a good indicator and could help us pinpoint possible problems for you. Also, what are the specifics on the car? Turbo, V6, 2.3 na...

It sounds like you may be having issues with the ignition switch. There have been a few postings about this type of behavior in the last few months, and most were igniton switch related...

I doubt that it's the fuel pump - typically, when they die or are dieing, they will run just fine until the car is turned off, then just not restart.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No check engine light went on, oddly enough. Not votlatge warning, nothing in the info screen. I have abuddy with a computer connector and laptop software so I will scan it for codes tonight.
I work near home so I am driving it around today to see what happens.

The car is a Saab 900 4 door. 4cyl.
Not to be an idiot, but I cant find the GM900 workshop?
Thanks,
Mat

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So I tune it up, new dist. and the works. Dirve around for a day and its fine. Head out of town and sure enough, it does it again. She tows it to the dealer who is wanting to run the works (they are persistant). The big problem is a broken alternator bearing.

So how easy is it to swap an alternator? I do it all the time on my families 1946 Dodge pick up and our 1930 Model A, but those care of course really simple engines.
Thanks,
Mat

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
mat said:
So I tune it up, new dist. and the works. Dirve around for a day and its fine. Head out of town and sure enough, it does it again. She tows it to the dealer who is wanting to run the works (they are persistant). The big problem is a broken alternator bearing.

So how easy is it to swap an alternator? I do it all the time on my families 1946 Dodge pick up and our 1930 Model A, but those care of course really simple engines.
Thanks,
Mat
A broken alternator bearing ??
Nearly impossible.
Broken bracket - rare but possible.
Danger ! Danger !
I am thinking !
If the alternator mount bracket was fractured or broken enough to cause a non-operative condition; then a man could explain the lack of volts.. This not likely, I know; but the trouble is , one cannot see the alternator as they do the one on the Ford or the Dodge ,the older ones, of course..
Maybe, just maybe, the alternator was tested at an idle speed and the break did not come into play until the engine was really ran..

Anyway, if need be, rebuilt alternators are usually available from Bosch, maybe GM..

"GM 900 workshop" is the partial name of this forum, Mat
900ng(new generation) and 900GM are one and the same..

1 - 7 of 7 Posts