SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone. The car is a 1999 9-3 hatchback. Runs fine when it's traveling along, but more often than not it's been stalling out while waiting for traffic lights or just sitting there on idle. It can take only a few seconds to about 30 seconds for the car to either completely stall, or near-stall with the motor suddenly revving up to recuperate (it may do this a couple of times and wind up either correcting itself or stalling anyway). I took off the air duct to the throttle body to see if there was a lot of carbon in the area, but seemed pretty clean. I'm stumped so, as always, any and all advice will be gratefully appreciated. Thank you in advance, and all the best.

·
Registered
458 Posts
It could be many things, but I would start with basic maintenance items. How old are the spark plugs? Most likely culprit would be a vacuum leak, since it would have the biggest effect on the engine at idle when vacuum is high. Check all the vacuum lines for loose connections, tears, dry-rot, etc.

What is the service history of the car? how many miles?

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Couldn't find anything on Evap Purge Valves, do you mean simply replace it? I don't think there's a way to clean them. Let me know.

As far as the service history, my son and I have done all the routine work on it, the car has never had anything major go wrong with it.

Since the initial posting I used carb cleaner to clean out the idle control valve and the axis points of the throttle butterfly, but I'm not sure that did anything (time will tell).

Also, as an aside, my next door neighbor suggested checking/cleaning the EGR valve. I tried to find out where it is, but haven't had any luck. If anyone can clue me in I'd be grateful.

Again, thanks for all your suggestions.

·
Registered
19 Posts
vacuum leaks in the hoses is #1 check. also, does it stall with your foot not on the brakes. If it stalls while your foot is on the brakes, maybe there's a leak in the brake assist diaphragm.

is the engine hunting while idling?

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
Money is on the Evap purge valve. Replace it. Your car will go back to normal. Only happens at idle. 5 minute replacement. get one from a junk yard to test. Might even be good enough to use for a long time.
It is located on the passenger side wheelwell under the hood. Follow the thicker vaccum line off the back of the throttlebody over to the passenger side wheelwell. It hooks into the purge valve. Replacement requires pliers to get the metal pressure locks off, then unhook the electrical connection, pop it out of the harness and replace. 5 minutes or less.

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
Are you running a lot of electrical load on the alternator like lights, AC, etc? I've noticed mine doesn't like to have anything turned on until it's fully warmed up. It'll go to an almost stall if the heater and heated seats are on and the car isn't at operating temp yet (middle of the gauge). Once warmed up it's OK. Just something to consider.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi everyone, sorry it’s taken me a while to respond, my job’s had me going crazy before the holiday. The car stalls w/ the foot on or off the brakes, only while idling like stopped at a light, more so after it’s been running a while (not just at start), AC on or off doesn’t matter. I checked for vacuum leaks and couldn’t find any (doesn’t mean I couldn’t have missed one, I’m not all that good at detecting them). I will change out the Evap Purge Valve first chance I get and report back, but can someone explain to me why that would cause the stalling? I’m not very knowledgeable on the system.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I had a similar issue on my '99 9-3 that turned out to be a bad IAC valve, (idle air control). Cleaning the valve helped a bit but replacement solved the problem.

·
Registered
2,490 Posts
get a can of carb cleaner and clean the idle air control valve out then get a small brush and get some oil on the moving parts

·
Registered
60 Posts
All the comments above are all good as far as I am concerned and I am no expert but also check the turbo bypass valve (I think you can do some sort of check to try and determine if it is broken) as these seem to cause "stalls at stop lights" from what I have read. So I echo, vacuum leaks, EVAP purge value and even the purge canister (but less likely), IAC and TBV. Good luck.

http://www.thesaabsite.com/Saab-stalling.htm

1 - 11 of 11 Posts