SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hope some of you can shed a light on this problem...

My daughter has a 97 900 se. It has a chronic problem where is stalls usually when coming to a stop, or just taking off from a stop. Most typically when the engine is warm and the temperature outside is above 60*.

So far, we have done "common sense" maintenance (and also just for good measure...) Replaced the cap, rotor, wires, plugs, air filter, and cleaned the MAF and Throttle Body. Nothing has worked.

While cleaning the TB, I noticed a bad vacuum hose and replaced that. I did some reading and searching the site and I found a write-up on cleaning the ICV so I did that (still no guaranty that it is working?) and I plugged up the vacuum hose going to the charcoal canister.

She is using premium gas too.

It has recently threw a code twice.... P1140 which is related to the TPS or the MAF. Any way of figuring out which? Either way, I am prepared to buy new parts, but I am just not sure that this will be the fix.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I hope some of you can shed a light on this problem...

My daughter has a 97 900 se. It has a chronic problem where is stalls usually when coming to a stop, or just taking off from a stop. Most typically when the engine is warm and the temperature outside is above 60*.

So far, we have done "common sense" maintenance (and also just for good measure...) Replaced the cap, rotor, wires, plugs, air filter, and cleaned the MAF and Throttle Body. Nothing has worked.

While cleaning the TB, I noticed a bad vacuum hose and replaced that. I did some reading and searching the site and I found a write-up on cleaning the ICV so I did that (still no guaranty that it is working?) and I plugged up the vacuum hose going to the charcoal canister.

She is using premium gas too.

It has recently threw a code twice.... P1140 which is related to the TPS or the MAF. Any way of figuring out which? Either way, I am prepared to buy new parts, but I am just not sure that this will be the fix.

Thanks in advance.

Sounds like a TPS symptom. Not a very expensive part ($90 I think at dealer). I had same issues and took care of it. You can clean the MAF with electronic cleaner or MAF cleaner just to be safe as well.

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
If its a "SE", then she is turbocharged and there is no cap nor rotor.
All of the vacuum hoses ?
Compression ?
The AIC (air idle control) or IAC (idle air control), check for current; these can be cleaned, but yours may be shot - there is a little solenoid inside......

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Bumping again...

I will check both of those items. Confirmed the car is NOT an SE. That must have been a typo above (but I don't recall what I was supposed to be typing...)

Anyway, after replacing the MAF and the TPS, we are still getting a P0491, but now we have two systems that are not ready... Catalyst and O2 Sensor.

I am looking at getting new 02 sensors, if there are any other ideas, I am open to suggestions. (if anyone already knows the proper BOSH part numbers for the O2's, I would appreciate that too.)

·
Registered
271 Posts
No one mentioned the EVAP purge valve. Do the 97s not have them? I would imagine they do. That was the problem in my 99. It was stalling when sitting at idle for a few minutes, or trying to take off from a stop after sitting at idle for a few.
That could be different than what you are experiencing, but it sounds the same to me. Although when I was having stalling problems, mine never threw a code out. So yours might be a different problem path.

·
Registered
434 Posts
I had a 99 9-3 that had the same exact problem....in my case the purge valve was the answer...I am not sure if the 97 has a purge valve....I was going crazy over this problem...turned out a simple $80 worked the magic....changing the 02 sensor also made the car runs stronger.

No one mentioned the EVAP purge valve. Do the 97s not have them? I would imagine they do. That was the problem in my 99. It was stalling when sitting at idle for a few minutes, or trying to take off from a stop after sitting at idle for a few.
That could be different than what you are experiencing, but it sounds the same to me. Although when I was having stalling problems, mine never threw a code out. So yours might be a different problem path.

·
Registered
19,171 Posts
Bumping again...

I will check both of those items. Confirmed the car is NOT an SE. That must have been a typo above (but I don't recall what I was supposed to be typing...)

Anyway, after replacing the MAF and the TPS, we are still getting a P0491, but now we have two systems that are not ready... Catalyst and O2 Sensor.

I am looking at getting new 02 sensors, if there are any other ideas, I am open to suggestions. (if anyone already knows the proper BOSH part numbers for the O2's, I would appreciate that too.)
Did you disconnect the battery? That will give you not-ready conditions until you complete the required drive cycles: http://ebookbrowse.com/saab-drive-cycle-pdf-d46832116

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
No one mentioned the EVAP purge valve. I would imagine they do. That was the problem in my 99. It was stalling when sitting at idle for a few minutes, or trying to take off from a stop after sitting at idle for a few.
Thats exactly what we have going on... Does this look like the part you placed?

http://www.eeuroparts.com/Parts/4852/ELCD-Purge-Valve-4442471/

FWIW, I recall replacing the EVAP valve on my BMW. I wasnt having performance issues, but I was having issues with NOT READY status of the catalyst. I replaced the EVAP valve and the catalyst system became READY and then started throwing codes for the O2. So it was a combination of failures.

Do you recall where this part was located? I had to remove the entire intake manifold to get to it on the BMW.

·
Registered
28 Posts
If its a "SE", then she is turbocharged and there is no cap nor rotor.
All of the vacuum hoses ?
Compression ?
The AIC (air idle control) or IAC (idle air control), check for current; these can be cleaned, but yours may be shot - there is a little solenoid inside......
I will second this. My first two things I would have done, other than made absolutely sure there are no vacuum leaks is clean or replace the Idle air control valve and replace the TPS.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I will second this. My first two things I would have done, other than made absolutely sure there are no vacuum leaks is clean or replace the Idle air control valve and replace the TPS.
Vacuum hoses are good. we did a full "basic" diagnostic so we can move forward based on the fact that basic/general mechanic triage has been performed.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
No one mentioned the EVAP purge valve. I would imagine they do. That was the problem in my 99. It was stalling when sitting at idle for a few minutes, or trying to take off from a stop after sitting at idle for a few.
That is what is happening to me right now. Pretty much exactly. Now that I think about this, I had a similar problem with my BMW. It ended up being a combination of the evap valve and o2 sensor that was causing my not ready status. I replaced the evap and it started throwing codes on the 02. I replaced the o2 and all was good....

Is this the part I need?

Also, do you recall where it is located? I remember having to pull the intake manifold on the BMW to get to it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
saabsilver ,

That is what is happening to me right now. Pretty much exactly. Now that I think about this, I had a similar problem with my BMW. It ended up being a combination of the evap valve and o2 sensor that was causing my not ready status. I replaced the evap and it started throwing codes on the 02. I replaced the o2 and all was good....

Is this the part I need?

Also, do you recall where it is located? I remember having to pull the intake manifold on the BMW to get to it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

Is this the part I need?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Im not sure what you mean. The IACV typically will not show up as a CEL if that is what you are referring to. Anyways, good luck with it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
It WAS the EVAP Purge valve. Replaced for $50. I also bought an O2 sensor for $75... Probably not a total waste of money as I imagine it would be needed sooner or later.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts