SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I searched and looked through many threads concerning stalling here, but didn't get any clue. So I am trying to start a new one hoping that I can get an advice. Car is 1999 9-5 2.3.

I need to start my car twice almost every time now. It starts just fine, doesn't need much cranking, but dies after 2 seconds. On the second start it takes just a little bit longer to crank, then it starts and works just fine. This happens every time when car is cold and 50/50 when it is hot. When it stalls, it does it very quietly, no cramps or convulsions.

I checked all pipes, they all look OK as far as I can tell. Cleaned throttle body - no effect. Replaced spark plugs - starts even faster, but still dies. DI cassette was replaced less than a year and 10K miles ago. CPS replaced a couple of years ago.

What else can cause this problem?

I have noticed it after last oil change, but I'm not completely sure if this started after oil change or I just didn't pay much attention to it before. What bothers me is that I used some engine flush additive with this last oil change. Never did it before but thought that it may be useful and tried it this time :cry:.
Also, I usually used Mobile 1 before, but put Penzoil full synth this time. Can oil problems cause such stalling symptoms?

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
Maybe fuel pump going...

I have same model year car type, and this was the symptoms prior to my fuel pump failing.

You can pre-emptively replace with Walbro 255 pump for about $100 and you have make it fit (several people including Chris 9-5) have done it here.

In my case I just did the OEM replacement (Saab unit cost $565) with the work done by a trusted indy cause I didn't have the time for the Walbro retrofit.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Wouldn't think the type of oile would have much to do with stalling ,but I'm pretty new to this Saab stuff - anyone else have an opinion on this?I was just looking at Penzoil full synthetic on sale for my next ( first as owner of this car)oil change as well....don't mean to hijack your thread.....

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
mosaix said:
I checked all pipes, they all look OK as far as I can tell. Cleaned throttle body - no effect. Replaced spark plugs - starts even faster, but still dies. DI cassette was replaced less than a year and 10K miles ago. CPS replaced a couple of years ago.
You can eliminate the TB by performing this simple test on the next cold start. Turn the key on w/o cranking the engine. Pump the throttle several times near the top, you don't have to go to the bottom, just trying to get the internal TPS to rub the oxidation off the worn contact. Now crank the engine. If it doesn't die this time, it's probably time for a new (rebuilt) TB.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts