SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking at getting a 3" exhaust but trying to decide whether to go with stainless or aluminized. Is it really worth the extra money to go stainless or not?? From Jak Stoll the difference is $400 and then comparing MP's to JT w/out the cat is also a $400 differnece since one could just buy a cat from Summit.

·
Registered
10,464 Posts
How long do you plan on keeping the car? A stainless steel exhaust will be the last one you ever buy. An aluminized one could start rusting within 5 years, or it could last 20; you just never know. I'd be inclined to go with the stainless one myself.

·
Registered
180 Posts
i would have to agree

i would have to agree , s/s versions can be a bit akward to fit as ive recently found out , but much more worth it . they sound better and obviously will outlast your car .

·
Registered
3,009 Posts
What's the weather like in Iowa? Do you have salt on the roads ever? If not, then don't get the stainless, you should be fine. If you do then I would reccomend the s/s.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
supergreg said:
I just noticed that Nick at Genuinesaab must have his own 3" stainless downpipe in development...at least that's what his little note says on the page for the JT downpipe.

http://www.genuinesaab.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=56_24&products_id=126
HMMMM it might be somthing worth waiting for... and yes there is PLENTY of salt dumped onto the roads here. So I take it that the aluminized wont last very long in that, or is just unpredictable. Thanks for the input!

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
supergreg said:
I just noticed that Nick at Genuinesaab must have his own 3" stainless downpipe in development...at least that's what his little note says on the page for the JT downpipe.

http://www.genuinesaab.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=56_24&products_id=126
Nick always comes through! I would wait and see what his is priced at... there is no doubt as to the top quality of his parts. From my research asking the same questions...sound like stainless is worth waiting for, especially where there is nasty winter/road salts. I wonder if it will be polished, too.:cool:

·
Registered
57 Posts
I had aluminized on a previous car....

It lasted me 8 years, and 298,000 miles on my Jetta before it was totaled out. I replaced the muffler once - that was due to me backing into a parking guard (or whatever you call those concrete blocks in parking spaces). The car spent most of it's time in Wisconsin where they dumped alot of salt on the road - I was only able to get the car washed maybe 2 or three times a winter (due to it always being so cold). None of the exhaust system every rusted out, and it never accumilated rust on it, but it wasn't as pretty as a friend's SS system - but I did get mine for half the cost.

I've thought about getting an exhaust for my Viggen....I'd probably get alluminzed with a SS tip....

·
Registered
30 Posts
Stainless exhaust

I have the stainless sport exhaust on my Aero, looks good, cleans nicely, but don't get too close or you'll wear a 2nd degree imprint on your leg.

·
Registered
543 Posts
The full JT exhaust I bought in the UK had a Stainless Steel DP and CAT already as standard, it was the rest of the exhaust that was aluminumised. But then I'm in the UK so this may make a difference? I had no check engine light problems.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts