SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know if this will increase the engine noise? I'm already 3" JT all thru with no cat, so hardly inconspicuous. I don't know of anyone who has one, so whats the theory, a louder burble?

Cheers,

Andy

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
I'm assuming you mean d/p and back, not exhaust manifolds.

I think s/s components are thinner and perhaps harder, so you do get a different harsher noise. My system has gradually grown more subtle as the soot has built up. Hayward and Scott and Abbott both do great quality, Long-life and others do great prices. Go for it!

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
Do you mean the stainless end pipe Andy? :confused:

·
Registered
74 Posts
Iv'e heard your car on the track Andy, surprised you passed the noise test:D
I don't think you will hear much difference maybe slightly under load.
Are you thinking of getting one from Maptun? You may have to wait awhile Ylee has been on the waiting list for a few months now.

You could give Jack Stoll a ring he would knock you one up for a couple of hundred quid cheaper.

Steve

·
Registered
22,211 Posts

·
Registered
2,977 Posts
You could give Jack Stoll a ring he would knock you one up for a couple of hundred quid cheaper.
You can get to the back of the Q as he's been on mine now for a 4 weeks. Bespoked spec with option to attach remote wastegate too.
Father days present from me to me....:cheesy: :cheesy:

·
Registered
9 Posts
" so whats the theory"
The 'theory' is that larger turbos with a greater moment of inertia will increase the lag. The exhaust gases leave the cylinders in a sequence of pulses that are best described as 'waves'. Waves can either reinforce or cancel each other, depending on their pattern of interference. By using the appropriate length of tubing for each cylinder, the pulses or waves are reinforced, and arrive with the greatest amount of energy at the turbine. So the theory says that in practice, a larger turbo can have its' lag reduced by increasing the energy supplied to the turbine. What's a larger turbo? Well, a TD04-18T is larger than a 15T, but I doubt that it would warrant the use of headers. In practice, there could be difficulties with wastegate control and the TD04's internal wastegate may need to be changed to an external one, as Marrk mentioned.
It should have marginal effect on sound as the turbine attenuates most of the sonic energy.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts