SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I'm probably going to get told to check previous threads etc but I have and haven't really got the answer to the question I'm asking!
Briefly I'm looking at tuning my 95 Estate and have been doing a lot of looking around at the various tuning companies. BSR,Abbott,Nordic etc. Prices for stage 1 seemed pretty similar up until recently when I spotted Abbotts seem to be approx £150 cheaper than BSR. Does the box/chip etc cost £150 you get with BSR? And if not why are Abbott cheaper?
Also, and I know this is a very subjective question, but with all the companies claiming around 60+bhp improvements on a 2.0lpt what are the differences between them power/driveability wise??:D ie does one drive differently to another? Power comes in lower or higher etc etc? Has anyone done a comparison between the major companies??

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
They are cheaper cos they want the custom, simple really.

·
Registered
527 Posts
To answer your question regarding the drive and when the power comes on, I had a BSR stage 1 on my 20t and the power was marginally increased low down, the full effects was from 4.5k onwards (when the original set up loses its puff)
I found unless I drove it around the 4.5 - 6k rpm mark it didnt really give me the excitement I hoped BUT its sure better than the 150bhp set up that bored me to tears.
P

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for that, kinda guessed that was because they wanted the custom. It was really more to do with power delivery and specifically the driving characteristics of each upgrade. Are they all similar to Paolos experience with BSR (thanks for the comments by the way Paolo) or do they vary??

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
bammers said:
Someone must have an idea on the differences between the companies!!
Why?

Why would someone buying say an Abbott (or any other) stage one, then relinquish any further tuner upgrade discounts by buying a BSR (or any other)?

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So if no one has experience of different tuning companies and the results, how does one decide who to go for? Cheapness?Location of supplier?
Just want an idea of who to go to for my stage 1!!!
Never realised it would be so hard finding out something about the tuners!!

·
Registered
527 Posts
Decide through a mixture of
  • price
  • customer service
  • ability to deal with issues that may arise
  • ability and discount offered when you want to upgrade again
At £399 - it seems like good value and Abbott do offer a 5 stage approach to their tunes. Can't comment on customer service though

Why not go for it and report back your feelings!
P

·
Registered
2,846 Posts
I found a couple graphs

These are from the manufacturer's Web sites. The Maptun one is from somebody's profile on the site.

I would imagine that since people usually stick with one tuner, you're not going to hear many comparisons...

Stage 1 - BSR 2.3 1999-2000

Stage 1 - Maptun 2.0 1999-2000

Here's a link to that graph above that is legible:
http://www.maptun.com/cars_showimage.php?path=http://cars.maptun.com/bilder/&file=213_1040_9-52-1.JPG

I guess you can look for prices online...

I couldn't find a Nordic or SQR Graph.....Could Nick help us out here; or anyone else?

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
bammers said:
Never realised it would be so hard finding out something about the tuners!!
Its not.........

Its just that your question regarding "a person" having compared different stage 1's is a very unlikely senario.

Most tuners will take you to Stage 3 at least, all the recognised brands are excellent, you will be pleased with any.

So base your choice on the other factors as Paolo says, and customer service is probably one near the very top, above even price in my book ;)

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks to everyone

:D thanks for that everyone, have had a look at graphs etc, just was hoping someone may be able to comment on driveability. I suppose thinking about it as you say Chris, all the major tuners should be excellent, its not like saabs are mass market say like a ford and could afford to lose a few customers if they pushed a rubbish product. I suppose a poor product would quickly be seen for what it is with this brand.
I think I will be going the BSR route, mostly because the dealer is very close to home (any probs, pop in and see them) and the fact I can put the vehicle back to standard if necessary pretty quickly. Unless someone has an idea where I can get an ecu from easily and at a reasonable price so i can swap between them if necessary?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts