SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Up in WI we finally got a break from the unusually hot weather we've been having today so I thought I would have a little fun at work. While traveling between our two locations (the second location is isolated in a business park with limited access) I launched my car at 2800 RPM from a stop, feathered the clutch and granny shifted 2nd then gave it everything only to have the car stop accelerating and watch the RPM's rise to around 5,000 or so.

In short, my stock 71,000 mile clutch has bowed out to the additional stage 4 power. Now my car (2002 SE) is in need of a new clutch, does anyone have a recommendation, and an idea on what costs I should expect for the installation?

Thanks,

Mike

FYI - An 18T is in the works, so I hope to be making even more power shortly.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Bigsky said:
Up in WI we finally got a break from the unusually hot weather we've been having today so I thought I would have a little fun at work. While traveling between our two locations (the second location is isolated in a business park with limited access) I launched my car at 2800 RPM from a stop, feathered the clutch and granny shifted 2nd then gave it everything only to have the car stop accelerating and watch the RPM's rise to around 5,000 or so.

In short, my stock 71,000 mile clutch has bowed out to the additional stage 4 power. Now my car (2002 SE) is in need of a new clutch, does anyone have a recommendation, and an idea on what costs I should expect for the installation?

Thanks,

Mike

FYI - An 18T is in the works, so I hope to be making even more power shortly.
I have heard very good things about the Viggen clutch... I believe it will hold well over 300 hp... don't know the exact specs about max pressure that can be put on it. But what I really want you to get is the hydraulic clutch on genuinesaab:cheesy: ... I've been wondering a long time about that piece. I think the Viggen clutch is about $250 and the hydraulic one, according to GS is $375.62.

You figure most shops charge an average of $85/hr. and a clutch replacement may take four or five hours (you should call whatever mechanic you use and get an exact number). That's relatively $375 for install and another $300 including shipping for the Viggen one. You are looking at around $700 total.

But remember each shop charges differently per hour and it will take some longer than others to get the job done.

Go Viggen, my .02

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was weighing the Viggen or the Spec, but there was a guy on SC a few weeks back with a horror story about the Spec. He basically mutilated a Spec disk with little mileage 5-10K. If the Viggen can hold 300 hp I'll go that route, but if I need or should have the Spec I'm not against spending the additional money.

·
Registered
4,335 Posts
I have a viggen with an 18t and since it takes more time to spool I find it is much easier on the drivetrain. compared to my old stage 3 + and stock 15t. And since you have a 2.0 it should be even less aggressive. But since you like launching from a higher rpm, then others may think you need something stronger.....
I have 60k on my org. clucth and 10k with staged ecu's. When I change clutches I'm sticking with the viggen clutch, etc...

·
Registered
428 Posts
Bigsky said:
I was weighing the Viggen or the Spec, but there was a guy on SC a few weeks back with a horror story about the Spec. He basically mutilated a Spec disk with little mileage 5-10K. If the Viggen can hold 300 hp I'll go that route, but if I need or should have the Spec I'm not against spending the additional money.

Wow. well that makes me rethink a spec disk. but anyhow looking on GS just now it appears the stage 4 package for nordic will let the viggen run 310 hp. and I don't think nick would be comfortable selling preset power packages if he knew the stock clutch couldn't hold whatever the car was putting down. so I think you should be very good with the viggen if you don't plan on much more than 300 crank. But again, it may even hold more than that. I would call GS and give them a quick shout...

·
Registered
532 Posts
Before you go disregarding SPEC realise that anything could have happend in the production batch that clutch disc came out of causing either a.) weak clutch components or b.) an improperly assembled disc. Both of which are corrected very quickly by the manufacturer checking discs from that production batch and determing from there what needs to be done to correct the problem.

Spec is a great clutch. I don't have one but got to drive one on a car at SOC. Nick states for upto stage 4 that a spec disc and viggen pressure plate are a perfect match. Give him a call and talk to him and he'll suggest what he thinks is best.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
I don't have any experience with Spec, what I know of the disk what the story I heard from the thread starter a few weeks back. It sounds like the Viggen should suffice, I'll most likely go that route.

IMS how are you liking your 18T? I have a core, and was going to send it out to Deadbolt last Friday but held onto it unsure of whether I was going the right route. My 15T is shot though, it noisy and spooling late so I need to to replace it soon.

Mike

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
I have a spec/viggen "mutant"
I would search out other options in clutches
maybe a centerforce for a vauxhall cavalier or whatever else uses these motor/trans combo.

I'd start with ACT, and then maybe centerforce, competition, clutchnet.com?

Search 'em up.

My spec "stage 2" chatters like mad, and overheats quickly.
It's held up for some time, but only when I'm non-abusive.

looks like centerforce makes a cobalt FI and n/a clutch.
1", 14-spline clutch. 9.125" clutch.
and 9.0" clutch.

I'd go there before spec

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
I've run a centerforce (in a Mustang) and loved it. I'm going to call around, I'm not sure that the Spec/Viggen option is for me. I'll let you know if I find any other options.

·
Registered
694 Posts
i had the spec stage 3 clutch/PP in my c900 that i loved. i plan on doing the same combination for my ng900 when i replace the motor in the coming weeks

·
Registered
11,140 Posts
I ran the Viggen PP and Viggen disc combo for almost three years, the last 18 months with 390+ ft/lbs of torque...

The main difference with a SPEC/Centerforce/Sachs Racing clutch is that they're made to hold higher force for longer, and will likely last longer than the combo I used. But the Viggen combo WILL hold that level of torque....it just won't like 2,800 RPM launches for as long as the other ones. ;)

After almost three years, I still have some material on my clutch disc, and there's only slight evidence of slippage on the flywheel and pressure plate (probably from contaminating the flywheel with oil when the cooler blew...I didn't have that little plate on the bottom attached... :confused: )

re: happiness with clutches...no one I know is happy with theirs, regardless of the brand. :cool: Guys with the Sachs Racing ones don't like the noise and vow to go SPEC next time, folks who use SPEC swear they're going Centerforce when the current one goes, and then the Centerforce guys ......:D

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the perspective, I just want a clutch that will hold if I'm making a 300 whp down the road. I don't really care as much about noise or ease of operation. Honestly this was the first time in my ownership that I've ever launched the car hard. I purposely slipped the clutch from that RPM, it was by no means a "dump" but it was enough to heat things up and stress it out.

I told my wife about the situation and she was hot (in the not so good way). She actaully would prefer that I drive a Mustang if I'm going to drive my car hard.

·
Registered
11,140 Posts
Bigsky said:
I told my wife about the situation and she was hot (in the not so good way). She actaully would prefer that I drive a Mustang if I'm going to drive my car hard.
Ah, see there's yer problem right there....

First rule of Clutch Club is that you tell no one ....:lol:

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
I tell you whuuuut [/cable guy]

I would choose an ACT over any other clutch out there.
unfortunately, they have abstained from the Saab world.

I promise to let you drive the Eclipse, Mike.
(you can check out the ACT there)

·
Registered
4,335 Posts
Bigsky said:
I don't have any experience with Spec, what I know of the disk what the story I heard from the thread starter a few weeks back. It sounds like the Viggen should suffice, I'll most likely go that route.

IMS how are you liking your 18T? I have a core, and was going to send it out to Deadbolt last Friday but held onto it unsure of whether I was going the right route. My 15T is shot though, it noisy and spooling late so I need to to replace it soon.

Mike
I like it, but I do not love it. But like everyone has read before in many posts, there is only so high one can go in a viggen without something going "pop". So an 18t 6 it is. BUT, if I could do it again and had the time, I would have gone bigger for sure.
Have fun.

·
Registered
301 Posts
mike saunders said:
re: happiness with clutches...no one I know is happy with theirs, regardless of the brand. :cool: Guys with the Sachs Racing ones don't like the noise and vow to go SPEC next time, folks who use SPEC swear they're going Centerforce when the current one goes, and then the Centerforce guys ......:D
I'm very happy with my SPEC clutches. I'm sure Mike will agree that the monsters stage 3+ is superb. In the 9000, the stage 2+ is slightly less than superb but I am happy with both.

I would stay away from the mixing/matching of clutch components.
Dave

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I wasn't aware that there was a pressure plate from Spec available for our cars? Does ACT offer anything for the 93?

FYI - I have a soft spot for DSM's after living in South Florida. I was in a 1st gen eclipse that made 570whp, which was one of the wildly fastest cars I've ever been in.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
lms said:
I like it, but I do not love it. But like everyone has read before in many posts, there is only so high one can go in a viggen without something going "pop". So an 18t 6 it is. BUT, if I could do it again and had the time, I would have gone bigger for sure.
Have fun.
I'm torn right now, I have the core to build an 18T but I have the feeling that I'll be disappointed with it when I consider the cost and what the cost would be to go to a GT28 or larger.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
slspf2 said:
But what I really want you to get is the hydraulic clutch on genuinesaab:cheesy: ... I've been wondering a long time about that piece. I think the Viggen clutch is about $250 and the hydraulic one, according to GS is $375.62.
Are you referring to the "Hydraulic Clutch Assembly?" That would be a replacement for the system, not the clutch disc and pressure plate. Doesn't a 2002 already have the hydraulic system?

·
Registered
428 Posts
snowboardin58 said:
Are you referring to the "Hydraulic Clutch Assembly?" That would be a replacement for the system, not the clutch disc and pressure plate. Doesn't a 2002 already have the hydraulic system?
yes it would be a complete overhaul (not bad price wise). but i was saying earlier that I wanted to see what it was all about considering I have spoken to very few on the forum here who have done the procedure, or talked about doing it. I don't know about the 2002... but I have a 2000 and am pretty sure it's mechanical.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts