Votes: 2 14.3%
  • Suspension > Power

Votes: 8 57.1%
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Stage 4 really worth that much more than stage 3? I know the power increase is minimal and I'm not quite sure about the tq numbers. I have a 6cm2 housing td04, but I still need parts before I have everything I need, so thats more $$$$ but i could just buy a stage 3+ tune and slap it on now and wala. This is also where I would stay power wise, for my car and what i use it for I really don't need anything dramatic like stage 5 and above

·
Registered
2,490 Posts
If you're going to the trouble of replacing the turbo I'd add one that can give the most reliable power you can get. If you don't need to replace the turbo stage 3+ all the way, it's enough power for a daily driver to me. I like smaller turbos on 2.0 cars anyway for street.

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
The problem is you always want more, At least for me anyway.
I thought I would be happy at stage 1
Then,
I thought I would be happy at stage 3,

Nope.

Stage 5 and 6 is where the fun begins :p.

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
go stage 4 e85 if theres any around you, went from stage 3+ to stage 4 e85, and i noticed a good bit more power, but suspesion is impprtant too so dont forget about it. and like bohgan said you think one stage is enough but it never is for me, its extremley addicting everytime you add power you want MORE!

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
If it's a daily driver and you don't want your a55 whooped everyday, stick with a turbo that has a smaller exhaust turbine so you're spooling earlier. (PEAK HP numbers don't matter as by the time you'll actually see them, the car with more average HP numbers earlier on will already be past you) I can't stress this enough. If you're aiming for a turbo that doesn't spool until, say 3300 RPM's, try and get rid of the dead weight, and possibly add some 4.45 gear sets from GS as it'll help with off-the-line performance and get you in your power band quicker. Although 1st gear will suck as it'll redline in a blink of an eye ;)

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
^lol you wanna run me?

i even get good mpgs with my big turbo... i think i averaged over 36mpg on my way to and back from Carlisle
1 You drive like a grandma (usually)
2 you dont spool till 2800 so no boost = less fuel
3 you have the 9-3 5th gear
4 your insaily fast. beyond 3k
5 you're argument has now become invalid. and you were stage 4 at one point what do you think? you've seen that turbo i have. im leanin twards putting it in. i have nothing else to do up here in michigan... except work.. and work on my car.

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
^lol you wanna run me?

i even get good mpgs with my big turbo... i think i averaged over 36mpg on my way to and back from Carlisle
You ever get 1/4 mile times with the current set up yet? Not too interested about HP numbers. When I road in AZR Racing's 9-3 he had it set around 15 PSI with a 2.0L and it accelerated very similar to mine, but much louder. I'm sure you'd have me on the highway. Ever near Akron PM as I'll go. But to do it right we'd need to go at it from a stop, then some rolls ;ol;

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
i am also running a huge turbine housing to where i am not able to fully spool. plus the crack in the exhaust manifold doesn't help. also have a CEL on which will throw off timing, and running a tune that wasn't designed for the setup (and its set at 10psi not 15 ;)... take a ride in her now. you will see the diff from the work i put into it. i enjoy a large turbine housing. yeah the person you are racing may get you off the line, but when you spool.... bye bye. also the large housing makes it so you dont spool in lower rpms, which gives better gas mileage as you aren't dumping in a ton of extra fuel to account for the extra air to keep the mixture good. let me grab another 2.3 and throw in the tune john made me, with the 60# injectors, and see who wins.

·
Registered
2,210 Posts
If it's your daily driver I wouldn't get to crazy, you want reliability.

·
Registered
954 Posts
If it's a daily driver and you don't want your a55 whooped everyday, stick with a turbo that has a smaller exhaust turbine so you're spooling earlier. (PEAK HP numbers don't matter as by the time you'll actually see them, the car with more average HP numbers earlier on will already be past you) I can't stress this enough. If you're aiming for a turbo that doesn't spool until, say 3300 RPM's, try and get rid of the dead weight, and possibly add some 4.45 gear sets from GS as it'll help with off-the-line performance and get you in your power band quicker. Although 1st gear will suck as it'll redline in a blink of an eye ;)

:lol: :lol: I guess you've never driven a gt30 Saab then ;)

I agree that you loose a little low down acceleration if your in say 3rd gear at 40/50 as you've got some turbo lag there, my old 9k didn't get going until 60/65 in 3rd but once your passing 70....it's ballistic and just kept pulling hard well off the clock (it was scary!!!!) Easy way around this was keep it in 2nd a little longer below 60 and just embarrass anything that fancies a crack;ol;

Even from standing start I was getting 0-60 in 5 secs and 0-100 in 10 ;ol;

I had the gt28rs fitted before this which was a lovely set up and more responsive and a tad quicker below 80 gear for gear but 2nd on the gt30 vs 3rd gt28rs sub 60/70 was much much quicker.

If you can bag a ride in one do it...will be an eye opener;)

I see where your coming from ref a faster spooling turbo with smaller exhaust housing but you can get these bigger turbo cars to drive even quicker lower down...just need to drive them differently to a t25/td04 that's all:D

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Dearest peoples hating on eachother.

there are my updates.

Turbo has been out for quite some time, right now the car is pretty much torn apart,

i broke two manifold studs when putting the mani back on, so i have to get a extractor to drill those out. there both on cyl 4..

i milled out the majority of the turbo flange on the manifold. (something is better than nothing.

I had a three inch vband welded to the td04 and dp, and i machined the inside of the flange out so that it should certainly show an improvement in flow.

I also got the intake together, the pre ic pipe together, all the lines ran, but i broke some banjo bolts so im waiting on some stuff for that.

the oil cooler should be here tomorrow. adapter fittings soon to follow in the week, along with a oil pres gauge.

oh i also yanked out my a/c, but the pump is still there... anything i should be worried about with this? ill probably grind down the bracket while everything is out.

more to come.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
pull the pump, you can get an AC delete belt. its shorter and cheaper

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I see a puddle sucker :p

I like to refer to it as the puddle annihilator.

Going to get a 71in 6rib belt from the parts store today, install later, and my oil cooler is out for delivery :cheesy:;ol;

1 - 20 of 29 Posts