SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently went stg 3 but i've been experiencing a plethora of problems. The d/p came loose, completely, I had to retighten and add lock washers, and now it seems like the car is running too lean. Of course this is a qualitative analysis as I do not possess the means to quantify how lean but the exhaust gas exiting the muffler is extremely hot, as well as a crackling/ popping sound coming from inside the muffler. I don't know how much of the is attributed to the free flow cat or not. Please if anyone has any insight please enlighten me as I am at the end of my rope with stg. 3. TIA.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I have no experience of the stage 3 diretcly...but, I remember the catless exhaust I fitted to previous car (a rex), resulted in lots of crackles and pops particularly when I floor it and let of the gas in 4th, even had the odd bang with flames out of the exhaust.

So I would say this normal.

Brian

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sorry I didn't really explain. The Vector/aero stage3 doesn't use larger injectors, I'm not sure if the Linears need the injector upgrade for stage 3.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
oslowly -

You'll need to get the following from your local NAPA store:

Qty 3 M8 bolts, approximately 1.5" in length. Standard Thread.

Qty 3 M8 Nuts

Qty 3 M8 Lock Washers

It's a royal pain in the butt to get to the rear-bottom bolt, and you will bearly have enough thread on the bolt to get the nut on, but the end result is no more leaky downpipe.

·
Registered
112 Posts
oslowley,

You said your EGT's are hot, what are your EGT's at under full load? You think the car may be running lean, high EGT's would indicate that. I have a stage 2 and my EGT's don't ever climb above 1250 to 1300. My probe is in the down pipe and I know this is not the best place for it. That being said the temp diffrance is about a couple hundred deg. So about 1500 max.

Are you sure the popping sound you hear is coming from the muffler? If it is indeed from the muffler then you may be running rich and the exess gas is lighting of in your muffler. On my last car a Rex I had a full 3" TBE with out cats and I had quite a bit of popping due to unspent fule in the exghaust.

However if the popping sound is comming from the engine bay it may be det. It will sound more like marbels being droped into a empty coffee can. You would hear it during a hard pull.

Sorry for the bad spelling

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
because of the high flow cat. the high temp. and unburnt gas in the exhaust is causing the muffler to crackle, also when the d/p was installed the exhaust syt. was shifted rearwards causing the piping to knock on the underside of the car. Mbodo the d/p came completely loose from the 1st day so I put lock nuts on already, thanks. All seems to be well for now.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Verdict on Stage 3?

I've been watching the posts for those of you (2?) who have installed BSR Stage 3. I have been thinking of Stage 3 for my '03 Vector (currently BSR Stage 1), but I'm concerned about the DP and other problems reported.

Simple question is this: If you had to make the decision again, would you go to Stage 3, and if so, what are the caveats (e.g. securing the DP, etc.). How does the performance compare to Stage 1? I know the HP numbers, but how has Stage 3 chnaged the experience of driving the car?

Last question: If doing Stage 3 again, would you use the BSR DP and catback, or the BSR DP with the Ferrita catback?

Thanks for any objective feedback you can give me.

·
Registered
563 Posts
i get all excited about upgrades with BSR and ready to spend some money.. then i read a scary story like this with stage 3! Hope you get it sorted mate.. will be keeping an eye on things, good luck

·
Registered
430 Posts
I'd like to ask if you know what kind of katalytic converter is the one that is used with the bsr dp.....
I'm thinking of custom dp/cat/catback and then the stage 3 ppc unit....

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
JWadle said:
Simple question is this: If you had to make the decision again, would you go to Stage 3, .
If I had the option to hit the "goback" button, I would have saved all of the money I spent on the car (wheels, stage 1, stage 3, the actual car purchase) and buy a different car that was a little bit faster. It appears as if the poor saab is just not cut out for being a very fast AND reliable car.

It can be fast but not reliable, it can be reliable, but not fast.

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
i couldn't have said it better mbodo. I was thinking the same thing. As it stands right now I have a cel from the MAF that I need to take care of plus the clutch got stuck in the engaged position the other day been soft ever since. I may keep this car if I can get it sorted out but if you want real performance buy one that does so out of the box. I have friends with evo's gti's porsche's who all have a myriad of diff. probs that came up as soon as they started modding. Right now I'm looking at the Ram srt10, the prices are falling with the rising gas costs.

S

·
0 Posts
I have stage 3 on my '03 vector and everytime i set it back to stock when i go to the dealer i thank myself for purchasing the stage 3. I havent had any problems with it, the car drives great, everyone loves it. I had a nice clean install, ride is smooth and powerful. To each his own.

·
Super Moderator
19,760 Posts
seekwisdom said:
I have stage 3 on my '03 vector and everytime i set it back to stock when i go to the dealer i thank myself for purchasing the stage 3. I havent had any problems with it, the car drives great, everyone loves it. I had a nice clean install, ride is smooth and powerful. To each his own.

What octane of gas are you running and where did you get it? I can only find 92 at our BP's. I tried Sunoco's website but there is nothing in Kansas or Missouri. Are there other companies that have higher octane gas?

S

·
0 Posts
I always put 93 octane and i always go to the same gas station (sunoco), not for any particular reason though. I live in NYC, when i take trips to Pennsylvania Sunoco offers 94 octane there so i jump on that opportunity.

I have a 6 speed manual vector. I have whatever Bsr says you need for a stage 3. So thats the PPC, Bsr downpipe, Ferrita cat-back, JR drop in air filter and i think thats about it. There are no problems with the car, the computer reads everything just fine at all times whether tuned (which it always is) or at stock which i switch to before i go to the dealer (which is often actually, not to contradict my last statement). Just to be specific, while tuning the car the traction control lights up but it goes away once your done but this has been posted several times before i believe.

·
Registered
3,092 Posts
Seriously. BSR hasnt mentioned a single thing about these rising issues. Did you guys contact them and mentioned all the problems you guys have been getting?? If you guys did, and nothing, then this is extremely disappointing.:evil:

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I sent several emails, received no reply. I also have a problem with forgemotorsports and pfs. It would seem to me that they knew that on some of the cars issues would arise with the BOV yet they sold them and are still selling them, and the kicker is pfs charges a 15-20% restocking fee.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts