SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all--

I've done as much research as possible on these issues that I'm having but I'm really tired of spending so much money on non-solutions.

So here is the deal:

My SID shows Stability Control Failure, Traction Control Failure & ABS Failure every time I start the car. (I just clear it after that). Also, the ABS light is lit on the gauges. Nothing specific happened that made these error codes show up, they just did one day.

As far as this problem goes, I was quoted 1000 at a certified Saab mechanic when just the Stability control light came on...so I would rather not even hear the quote for all three failures. His explanation was that it is a faulty sensor and therefore have to replace the whole module? Or something along those lines.

Next problem:

Every time I turn right, there is a very annoying knocking noise. It sounds as though there is too much pressure or something and something is about to break. I have taken it to Firestone (where I get my alignment) and they replaced my front axle saying that was the problem. Shortly after they replaced it, the noise came back. Then i went back two more times and they replaced it each time. In each case, about a week later, the noise came back. I then took it to another mechanic that said it was the CV Joint, and then the Sway bar links. So I replaced both. It had no effect.
Still paid though :evil:.

Also I read all over the place that the SID failure are from the battery so I just replaced that too....and the error codes are still there. :confused:

If anyone has ANY insight as to what is causing this, I am all ears.

PLEASE HELP!!!

·
Registered
59 Posts
if the saab dealer told you it would be $1k for the stability control failure they probably saw codes for bad data from steering angle sensor since the typical fix for that is a new CIM. Since ABS also shows faults there may also be a combination of failed speed sensors. They are integrated into the wheel bearing or hub (forget which) which could possibly also be the root of your knocking problem. Best bet is tech2 scan from the dealer which will tell you exactly what is causing the codes and then going from there.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well there are no Saab dealers next to me at all...the guy I went to les have a tech2 though, but I feel that he takes advantage. I'm going to go hard and replace the wheel beauty but I doubt that will fix all the errors....

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
also, the mechanic never mentioned the wheel bearing with the code and ne charges 90 just for a diagnosis.

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
Hmmmmmmm I kinda had the same problem. im sure you saw my thread about it being that you said you did a search. The one day I removed my battery. After that I removed the battery tray/holder. Under that is the ground. I cleaned that and tightened it back up. Then I disconnected the abs pump connection and then reconnected it. Ive been doing pretty good so far.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I have no idea on the knocking noise but I hate to see soemone throw money at non issues so I figured I'd take a crack at it. When I changed my hub out and restarted my car I got all three of those lights. I unplugged the new hub and plugged the old one back in and all three lights went out. If I were you I would climb under the car (MAKE SURE to use jack stands) and check all connections to the hubs. Road salt or any debree could have caused that line to rub or break loose. I am telling you with 100% certainty that a bad hub or bad hub connection will cause all three of those lights to come on.

Also jack the car up and spin one wheel at a time to try and isolate the wheel thats giving you the fit it will make life alot easier. If that dosent work jack up the front of the car and turn the wheel left and right to see if you hear the clicking sound.

These are 3 things to do that should narrow down your problems, then let us know and we should be able to save you a few dollars..

Good luck!!

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wow thanks for your reply. Now that you mention it, I do have a bad axle and cv joint and that caused grease in enormous amounts to be leaked onto my suspension…that's the original reason that I got my axle replaced. Unfortunately in my sure how to unplug everything…could you be more specific? I'll do it right away!!!

Also, when the car is lifted, and you turn the wheels, there is no knocking. But t seems that if you hold onto the wheel and move it up and down there is some kind of noise. This is why one of the mechanics I went to said it was the wheel bearing.

·
Registered
165 Posts
If you pull off a wheel or even slide behind the rear tire you will see a wire pluged into the back of the hub about half way up, should be black and yellow. Im at work but I will take a pic in a second and try to put it up for you. Its starting to sound like a bad hub. I take it your problem is located in the front of the car? It sounds like the dealer gave you the price of replacing that front hub which is about 1k

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Oh so this is for rear wheel? The leakage occurred in the front by my left wheel and that is actually the wheel that the noise comes from. It's only when I turn right. And no actually te dealer said it was a bad sensor and said he had to replace the whole 'module' but I think he was referring to what one guy previously called CIM but I'm not sure. And that was when I only had stability control failure.

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
I agree with transformer. You problem does sound like a hub. If you give me....oh say 30min I can run out and try to take a pic of that wire.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You guys are great! How would I know if it is the hub? You said to just disconnect and reconnect the wires? Or clean around that area? Given that my car makes a knocking noise, does that mean it is most likely the hub and I need to replace it? Looks like I found a place for my tax money :(

·
Registered
165 Posts
How many miles are on your ride? and if you can move the wheel back and forth then your hub is a good place to start. If you are nice with the wrenches you can pay about a 140 bucks for a brand new hub and with 2 hours of labor save yourself about 800 dollars :cheesy:

And yea if nothing is wrong witht he wire you could try to clean it but that want fix your knocking lol

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Christ. Lol. Well I recently found a new mechanic that has been working on my boyfriends 944…considering that I can do it, I'm assuming a normal non-Saab mechanic can also do it? Is the part just called front hub assembly?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Also, does anyone have any insight on why everyone I replaced the front axle, the noise would stop and then come back a week later? Also I have 88,000 miles on my car and it's a 2003

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hm no it takes me to the main site:( maybe f you send me the part number I can just search it

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
There's a bunch of part numbers for the wheel hub assemble. If you have the time just hut the red start button, find saab. your yr, and model. I did 2004 bc sometimes they mix in the og9-3 parts in. But then click on brake/wheel hub. then axle bearing and hub assembly. all the parts are there.

Part # 7990153 thats the cheapest one at 100$

·
Registered
165 Posts
There's a bunch of part numbers for the wheel hub assemble. If you have the time just hut the red start button, find saab. your yr, and model. I did 2004 bc sometimes they mix in the og9-3 parts in. But then click on brake/wheel hub. then axle bearing and hub assembly. all the parts are there.

Part # 7990153 thats the cheapest one at 100$

^^^^^ todays tag team partner lol

1 - 20 of 34 Posts