SaabCentral Forums banner

SRS light came on

6K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  Flystagg 
#1 ·
My SRS light just came on the other day when I was taking out my flasher relay to replace it. I don't know if I bumped something or what but I checked all of the fuses and they are fine. And everything else seems to be in place. Is it OK to still drive with the SRS light on or will my airbags suddenly deploy at random? Thanks for any help!

#2 · (Edited)
They won't deploy at random. Matter of fact, while the SRS MIL is illuminated they will not deploy at all.

If your problem arose while dropping the upper tray to change the flasher relay you may have shorted something on the unfused side of the wiring harness.

Always have the battery disconn'd when taking that tray down - or putting it back on the hinges.

The hinges are steel (grounded to the chassis) and the last 1/4" of the ends of the leads are uninsulated.

When you are attempting to set the tray pins back in the hinge slots it is hard to see if they are lined up correctly. Many times you miss and the tip of a hinge contacts a section of uninsulated wire.

If you did not break any wires, disturb any connections (or have a deployment - not your case) the problem may be of the "I" (intermitent) nature.

It will be stored by the control module and monitored for 40 hours. If, during that period, there are no other occurences it should be clearable.

This may happen automatically. If it is still lit after a couple of days you can try disconnecting the battery negative.

Key off, disco neg. terminal, wait 30 minutes, recon the battery and switch key to run, check MIL and... don't forget to pray.

If that doesn't clear it, give it awhile it may still clear itself.

Still lit after a few days? You'll probably need to find someone with an ISAT. Have the stored faults read/repaired and cleared.

Before you do anything however, do not verify fuse continuity by looking at the fusable link. Often, it looks good but is open.

Test the applicable fuses (#4?) with a Fluke (VOM).

#4 ·
Mine did the same thing after I changed the ignition contact switch, the battery was disconnected and I didn't catch any wires, all fuses check ok but still it stays lit.
I asked my local main dealer to plug it into the computer and clear the codes but he "forgot promising to do it for free, it'll cost you £80 sir". I'll stick with it staying lit thanks.

#6 ·
File or chip a piece off of a compressor blade. The resulting imbalance will give you more noise. It will also reduce the efficiency and life expectancy of the turbo. Noise is an indication of a problem, problems are easy to come by.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.