SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
SRS light blinks for 2-5 minutes than stays solid and glows. How do I identify what its trying to tell me? I know this is not an OBDII suystem so I'm a little lost. Any help would be great!

·
Registered
18,382 Posts
You need an ISAT or the SRS tool to do anything with that thing... probably it is complaining about the clockspring behind the wheel.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for the help. I lurked a little more and found most of the answers to my questions. I was wondering about removing the system all together since it is over the 10 year limit, and I have never liked the idea of air bags anyway. I found some information to get me started and I will just have to deal with the annoying light for now. The trans and rear brakes need moar attention then the airbag light right now.

·
Registered
18,382 Posts
aznsaab said:
thanks for the help. I lurked a little more and found most of the answers to my questions. I was wondering about removing the system all together since it is over the 10 year limit, and I have never liked the idea of air bags anyway. I found some information to get me started and I will just have to deal with the annoying light for now. The trans and rear brakes need moar attention then the airbag light right now.
There is no 10 year limit. The sticker means nothing - Saab issued a TSB circa 1998 saying "yeah don't even bother inspecting it it is fine". It is illegal to do so but you shouldn't be bothered by anyone. Airbag probably is working and if it finds a fault it won't go. Basically the worst that can occur is the bag doesn't deploy in a crash but it won't spontaneously pop in your face.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
my physics teacher in highschool told me a story about his sister. Apparently she lived in the city and had to go over a bump to get out of her driveway onto the road. Sort of a dip thing to channel run off. Well her old volvo shorted out as she hit the bump and the airbag deployed and broke her jaw. She was turned facing away as she was backing out. :eek:

·
Registered
13,286 Posts
aznsaab said:
my physics teacher in highschool told me a story about his sister. Apparently she lived in the city and had to go over a bump to get out of her driveway onto the road. Sort of a dip thing to channel run off. Well her old volvo shorted out as she hit the bump and the airbag deployed and broke her jaw. She was turned facing away as she was backing out. :eek:
I'd take that story with a grain of salt.
As far as I know, there's never been an unintended deployment except during inept repairs. I've seen bags deploy in a dip such as the one you describe when the subframe contacts the road while exiting the driveway going forward. It's impossible for an airbag to deploy while backing up

1 - 6 of 6 Posts