SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
17,377 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
After my electrical extravaganza was finished... I was left with an SRS error. I think perhaps the current surges damaged my SRS computer. I was in the console replacing the ignition switch, so there's a chance I pushed the connector around.

Here's what the Tech II posted:

I went in to program it and I got this:

I did go to the next step and it told me it was already programmed for "with" passenger airbag. Seems like there was nothing to program.

From what I'm reading in the WIS... this means I need a new SRS module? Would it work to swap one in from another 9-3?

On the other error, I checked the readings. The Driver Side Seat Belt is showing 6.5 ohms, which is outside the range. But, nothing has changed in that area as far as I know.

Ideas? I'm thinking I need to get a junkyard SRS module and install it. But, if there's something else to try, let me know.

·
Registered
6,357 Posts
Have you cleared DTCs and read them again?
6.5 ohms is too much and thus you have airbag light on. Try to clean connectors with contact cleaner.
Remember to unhook tensioner connector first.
You can connect temporally 2-3 ohm resistor to tensioner connector (not to tensioner) and read values with TECH2. You now should have 2.5-4 ohm reading if all wirings and connectors are intact.

BTW: this is ACS (airbag control system), not ABS.

·
Registered
17,377 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mimmi: Yeah, SRS is what I meant to type. I will see how much I can edit the post.

Yes, I cleared the codes but they came right back when I re started the car (ignition turn on). You're saying the tensioner connection down at the seat belt anchor? Ugh, convertible... don't want to go in there but I will it I have to : - (

So the 2-3 ohm resistor just goes across the connector at the belt to simulate the tensioner being connected with proper resistance? I saw something like that in the WIS but the diagnostic photos don't show up.

What about the primary error... "programmed with wrong configuration". Does that indicate I need a replacement SRS computer? Did the SRS module damaged during my electrical problem? It was all working fine before this.

·
Registered
6,357 Posts
Yes, put resistor to tensioner connector pins like simulated "tensioner".
SRS box could reset itself somehow and thats why you have "wrong configuration" error. Sadly there is no way to reprogram it, so you will need another SRS box.

·
Registered
17,377 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes, put resistor to tensioner connector pins like simulated "tensioner".
SRS box could reset itself somehow and thats why you have "wrong configuration" error. Sadly there is no way to reprogram it, so you will need another SRS box.
Thanks. I will go to the junk yard and find one. It doesn't need to match body type for the, correct? Just be an OG 9-3?

·
Registered
6,357 Posts
Check that airbags are not deployed. Deployed airbags will damage SRS box permanently and it is not serviceable.

·
Registered
17,377 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have computer and replacement belt being shipped out. The belt doesn't look very good cosmetically but at least it will get me up and running with the SRS.

I'm thinking that perhaps I could combine the two to use my belt and the other parts that the computer deals with from the replacement. So the first question is where those electronics are housed within the unit? Second question is whether anyone has successfully swapped the belt from one to another, leaving the electronic guts and/or explosive cartridge in place... or vise versa?

·
Registered
17,377 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
... then things got weird...

Replacement SRS main unit and belt arrived. Came from a Saab guy, he showed me the Tech II screen with no faults, sent them to me for the shipping cost, so I'm confident they were good at least when he packed them.

Decided to install the main unit hoping that might be the only problem and I could skip the belt replacement.

Disconnected battery, Installed replacement main unit, reconnect, hit the Tech II, it reported a dozen errors! Huh? Clear the codes. Off/on, recheck, still there. Figured I must have messed up the connection. Disconnected the battery and went back through it. Same results, x-mas tree of codes.

Reinstalled the original unit. Back to two codes as before. OK, at least that makes sense. On a whim I cleared the codes. They stayed off. Huh? I'd cleared them several times back when the problem came up. Came back every time.

Thought I might have some weird DICE, TWICE, MIU, ECU problem left over but there were no other codes in any system.

I didn't have time to go for a drive. We'll see what happens tomorrow when I take it out on the road. Very weird.

·
Registered
6,357 Posts
Replacement SRS box was from crashed car and airbags deployed.
There is no way to reset it after that.

·
Registered
17,377 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Still having issues. Light came back on. This time the driver's belt was fine. Now it's complaining about the driver's side airbag being high resistance. Shows 6.5 ohms to that one. Everything else looked fine. Cleared the code, came back immediately

Sourced another box from a matching year 2003 convertible. I could see there were no airbags deployed in the car and the belts were both OK, not locked.

Checked my codes... still the same. Replaced module with sourced one. Same code showed up for driver's side bag. Also showed "Wrong programming" message. What? It's from the same model. Clear the codes. Kept both now, "wrong programming" and "driver's side bag".

Any idea? Maybe a ground somewhere? Does anything else interact with the SRS that might be bad? I can try bypassing the driver's side airbag with a resistor, but it's still claiming "wrong programming", and I'm guessing that won't go away.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts