SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's one:

When I'm pulling out of a parking lot or driveway etc at low speed I get a squeal when I turn. It only happens when I really crank the wheel. It's coming from the front and it's not a belt, it's different than a belt squeal. It sounds like somewhere around the wheel. Got any ideas. Happens more after it rains.

·
Registered
3,720 Posts
Sure your steering fluid is properly serviced? Start with the simple stuff first. If not full, add fluid and exercise the steering to bleed trapped air out of the rack. If your fluid is correct, squeals can be cause by bypassing fluid internal to the pump, or the rack. Or as Jim noted, the beginning signs of a crank pulley failure.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
fluid is topped off. Usual steering whine in the morning...

It's a slow squeal, metalic and rusty sounding. When the car is moving. almost like something is rubbing at the front drivers wheel. Doesn't sound like the belts or power steering pump.

How would I check the condition of the crank pulley? Would it be loose?

·
Registered
3,720 Posts
Clean (if required) face of crank pulley. Draw line with chalk or some other visible marking from the bolt to the outer pulley. Check for shifting after engine operates. A mirror and good flashlight can make this easy after the marking. Evaluate two or three different times in a day or so, and if no visible shifting, your pulley is probably good. a shift of more than the line width would indicate a bad pulley, and replacement required.

·
Registered
8,923 Posts
It could be just the tyres on the parking lot tarmac. Don't laugh. Mine do it when I park in the supermarket multi-story, and I know it's just the tyres and nothing else. Wide tyres seem to do it more than narrow.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I had a wheel bearing that was in very advanced stage of failure. It made a lot of noise when I made a turn. Don't recall if it was a squeal but it was quite noticable

1 - 9 of 9 Posts