SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,
I've been getting a squealing noise from my clutch assembly that i'm a bit worried about.
If i'm at a light with gear box in neutral, I get this squealing or screeching noise until rest my foot on the clutch pedal, then it goes away.
As some here would know the car has been my DD for months now and I've never noticed any noise like this until recently.
I have done no work to clutch area while the car has been in my possession and otherwise clutch seems fine.
Anyone know what might cause this and should i worry about anything?
Thanks in advance.

1990 vert turbo 5 speed. 277k miles

·
Registered
258 Posts
Hi guys,
I've been getting a squealing noise from my clutch assembly that i'm a bit worried about.
If i'm at a light with gear box in neutral, I get this squealing or screeching noise until rest my foot on the clutch pedal, then it goes away.
As some here would know the car has been my DD for months now and I've never noticed any noise like this until recently.
I have done no work to clutch area while the car has been in my possession and otherwise clutch seems fine.
Anyone know what might cause this and should i worry about anything?
Thanks in advance.

1990 vert turbo 5 speed. 277k miles
Does it make the noise when you are cranking the engine? It might be harmonic balancer.

·
Registered
10 Posts
What Jim said. It's your throw-out bearing (AKA pilot bearing, clutch release bearing) Probably time to replace it if it's making noise.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It's probably a sign that it's on it's way out unless you pressure washed the engine bay with a degreaser.
well, not exactly to that extreme but i did clean the entire engine and bay really well but that was months ago:)

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Will give it a try. If this works is it a fix or does it mean i have to replace the the throw-out bearing?
I dripped some 90 weight on the bearing where it mates with whatever is in front of it and that seems to have done the trick! no more noise.

·
Registered
4,720 Posts
What Jim said. It's your throw-out bearing (AKA pilot bearing, clutch release bearing) Probably time to replace it if it's making noise.
The throw out bearing is the bearing that rides on the slave cylinder and runs against the pressure plate. The pilot bearing is (on a c900) pressed into the flywheel and supports the input shaft. (On most transmissions the pilot bearing is located in the snout of the crank.)

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you all for the information! I will let it go and see what happens. Right now, its quiet again:)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts