SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Kept hearing a squeak squeak in the mornings when cold and at night when car was cranked up, used to go away as car heated up. Got to the point now though where it squeaks the whole time, sometimes when its not even cold. Decided to research, heard a lot about idler pulleys going bad causing this squeak, found out that my car had the short belt mod put on it, so that eliminates one of the idlers to squeak, then the other idler was replaced with the belt. Finally caught the car squeaking when i had a can of wd40 and investigated to find it coming from my power steering pump pulley, sprayed some wd40 on the inside of the bearing and the noise stopped instantly. Called part stores and dealer, checked eeuroparts.com and all say you cant buy the pulley? Have to buy the whole assembly for $550???

·
Registered
142 Posts
Rshaw08
My Car's PS pulley was noisy and thought the timing chain was going out. Replaced the old stretched chain but the issue persisted. Took the car for a test drive and the pulley got stuck and engine stopped. The PS pump is still fine but need to replace the whole pump which makes no sense. Did you find a way to only replace the pulley?

·
Registered
430 Posts
Where do you expect the PS pump to have an extra pulley? The bearing is inside the pump. You cannot just exchange the wheel as it will not help.

·
Registered
142 Posts
It does make sense. The PS fluid lubricates the pulley bearings. Have been consistent in replacing 8 oz of PS fluid with every oil change.
My plan is to disconnect the return line to the reservoir and flush the entire system with clean CHF11S or 202 fluid (I believe its a European brand and they are both compatible) to get rid any metal shavings and slime.
Tried to upload video file with .mov extension and the site is not taking it. The pulley is a big mess.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Not exactly. The big main bearing directly behind the pulley is not lubricated by PS fluid, it has its own grease like other plain roller bearings.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts