SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all

I have developed an interesting squeak on the fan belt when I turn on the back window heater/ heated side mirrors button on idle off cold start. AC seems fine (no squeaks), as someone told me it could be the waterpump bearing, also, my steering squeaks, particularly when I dry steer. My car has 2 belts, is it time to change those belts, or could it be something the belts drive?

Incidently, I have checked the belts via the wheel arch and they seem to be alright, had trouble putting the bloody cover back on. You would have thought quality could have been easier.

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
3,938 Posts
What model year?

The earlier cars had trouble with the crankshaft pulley that drives the main accessory belt. The first symptom is squealing on a cold start. The cause is separation of the rubber isolator concentric to the two steel parts of the pulley. Fitting a new one is the cure.

The accessories are all driven from one belt I believe, a grooved serpentine belt. On early cars the AC compressor had a separate drive belt, the old fashioned V Belt.

The problem will steadily get worse so the diagnostic is to wait until it does and then fit a new pulley.

Be aware though that the idler bearing is also known to fail on the accessory drive belt and that does make a mess.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Superaero, model yr 93.

I have 2 belts, not the serpentine config.

·
Registered
3,938 Posts
The two belt model had one serpentine and one V Belt in our market.

It seems possible that your crank pulley balancer is coming apart but it could also be just incorrect belt tension. It has been my experience that once set the serpentine belt automatically retains the correct tension until it is nearly worn out or the idler/tensioner goes begins to fail.

The V belt for the AC unit needs to be re-tensioned periodically just as for older cars using V belt accessory drives. However, this belt is unaffected by alternator or power steering loads which are your symptoms.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts