SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a very annoying high pitch squeak or squeel that I'm trying to remidy. It started a few months ago. I searched and found a lot of people considering the dash area, but the sound is louder outside the car.

The sound occurs when I hit small bumps in the road, both low and high speeds from the front right of the car. It took me a while to track it down, but I'm very confident that the sound is coming from the suspension wheel well area as it is much louder outside the car, but I haven't completely ruled out the dash area. I originally assumed it had something to do with my brakes since they were nearly gone, but new pads and rotors and a good cleaning and the sound is still there!

Ever heard of this? If it is the suspension, what suggestions do you guys have on fixing this? I assumed spray the joints and springs with some form of silicone lubricant.

·
Registered
53 Posts
i might have a similar problem, though haven't looked into it too much yet. the squeak also happens when i drive over bumps etc. so one time i opened the bonnet and pushed down on the car manually. the sound originated somewhere from the left side of the engine bay and sounded like it was two dry rubber pieces grinding against eachother. btw, my saab is a 2002 9-5 2,3t manual. let me know if you have found any solution or if anyone out there might have experiences a similar squeak.

mihkel

·
Registered
5,774 Posts
Check your sway bar links for ball joint play. My right one was pretty shot and knocked and squeaked a lot.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I finally killed the damn squeek. I spent a few hours listening and trying to make it happen. What I found was that it didn't happen when the car was cold and as it got warmer it occured more often. I spoke to a few dealerships and heard that a dying tensioner could make similar noises, but my symptoms did not match a dying tensioners since it wasn't a consistent noise. I did though shooot some silicone on the tensioner to check and it didn't stop it. So I decided to fish further, I took off the front right tire and pulled off all the splash gaurds. During my investigations I did narrow the sound down to closer near the front passenger corner.. Once I got in there I found a broken bracket which secures the AC lines above the air filter box, so I used zip ties to keep them from moving. Once I got under the car it started to all makes sense. I moved and shook everything looking for something else loose, what I found was a AC line that jumped out of a bracket, I popped that back in and found the culprit, the one broken bracket and the other where the line jumped out allowed the AC line to rub against the lower radiator hose... :lol:

As the car heated up the rubber got softer and made the squeek, now that the lines are secured I haven't heard it..

Case closed!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts