SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know if and when SQR will be comming out with anything for the Trionic 8? I know that they say it is "here" and there is some I am assuming Stage 1 on there site but its just not in the us yet, just wondering about stage 2,3, & crazy fast. Before making my final decision on tuning, plan personally on starting with the suspension, the rear needs to get tightened up when im really pushing the car. So I do have time.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,140 Posts
I know Frank Stromqvist has tuned several 9-3 SS cars in the states, and more in Sweden.

Not sure when he's coming back over to the States this year (possibly in the spring) but call Paul at Automotion Saab Volvo in Billerica\, Ma.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks Mike, I will most likely call before SCD, I was just currious because I was behind a 93 ss with BSR Stage 1 at saabtober fest and was not really impressed even though I didn't ride in the car, and it was automatic, but I was keeping up fine and even pushing behind him at points, might be driving styles or whatever but the cars that where done by SQR (this 95 in particular was crazy, and the others by SQR where really quick, stage 2+). And I had read there site and just saw stage 1. I was really more curious as to other stages to upgrade so to as I progress in building up the car, sticking to one tunning company. Again this is still just in the exploritory stages, and is going ot be a 4+ year project to get the car to where I want it to be (will need to be Baby Stepping, $$). I was really just blown away by SQR. Case and point.



http://saabgallery.com/gallery/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=5991&g2_serialNumber=2
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,450 Posts
Goodness gracious that is sexy. Just makes me want a 9-5 even more right. Know anyone who wants to trade one for a 9-3?? :cheesy:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
681 Posts
You got my attention when you said that you were disappointed with the BSR Stage 1 tuned cars.
I don't think you were in a position to be able to truly compare the 2 cars.
I drove a 2007 9-3 2.0T when my car was being serviced. I apologize if I would seem rude. But comparing the 2 is a joke.
The acceleration and speed that come with those tuned cars is something that you need to experience to understand. With all due respect - I don't think the driver of the car that you were "racing" was even making an effort to race you.

Drive one and you'll be hooked. :cool:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
DemiGuru, I am not really saying it was a fair comparison, both where 2.0T's, he had two more people in the car, and it was an auto, and yes we where all pushing the cars realy hard. I was just expecting a little more from the BSR from what I have heard here. He would get on it and I just dropped a gear and was on him. It might be the issues I stated above that made the differance. There was no other ss's that had BSR there, just a lot of 900's, 93's, and 95'sw that had SQR, I know its not a fair comparison(apples and oranges) but I was just really impressed by SQR and have had I tough time getting more info for the SS, on the web.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
615 Posts
Rob Bie said:
DemiGuru, I am not really saying it was a fair comparison, both where 2.0T's, he had two more people in the car, and it was an auto, and yes we where all pushing the cars realy hard. I was just expecting a little more from the BSR from what I have heard here. He would get on it and I just dropped a gear and was on him. It might be the issues I stated above that made the differance. There was no other ss's that had BSR there, just a lot of 900's, 93's, and 95'sw that had SQR, I know its not a fair comparison(apples and oranges) but I was just really impressed by SQR and have had I tough time getting more info for the SS, on the web.
Two more people are and additional 300-400lbs. Add an additional 150lbs for the automatic, and the reduced torque because of a torque converter. Its not much of a comparison. But it doesn't mean that SQR tuning isn't superior.

P.S. Pre-MY2006 95's are sexy. Sometimes I regret not getting one instead of my MY2006 93 Aero SS. What is GM thinking with the new styling ?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
29 Posts
I've been swapping emails with SQR and they have stated that they will be ready to tune our cars within the next month.

It is not a PPC system but a remapp of the ecu using a laptop. So, you would need to purchase a new ecu or send them yours for tuning if you can't visit the shop physically.

They have stated that for my '03 9-3 linear 2.0t I can expect to see 217 hp. The charge for this is $850 US. As of right now I don't know if the $850 is the price for a new ecu and the tuning or if its just for the tuning. I've asked if they do charge extra for the new ecu can they accept the core ecu in my car after sending me the new one. Then, refund some $ for the original core ecu.

As soon as I know more I'll let you all know.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,450 Posts
pjsaggie said:
I've been swapping emails with SQR and they have stated that they will be ready to tune our cars within the next month.

It is not a PPC system but a remapp of the ecu using a laptop. So, you would need to purchase a new ecu or send them yours for tuning if you can't visit the shop physically.

They have stated that for my '03 9-3 linear 2.0t I can expect to see 217 hp. The charge for this is $850 US. As of right now I don't know if the $850 is the price for a new ecu and the tuning or if its just for the tuning. I've asked if they do charge extra for the new ecu can they accept the core ecu in my car after sending me the new one. Then, refund some $ for the original core ecu.

As soon as I know more I'll let you all know.
Well looking at the costs on other cars I think it's safe to sa $850 is just for the tuning. More than likely if you want to swap ECU's it will cost you. I don't see a benefit in swapping ECU's. Even if you could get a new one for say $200 that's more than you would spend on a rental car for the few days it will take them to load the software on your stock ECU.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
cjhutch said:
Even if you could get a new one for say $200
I've seen some getting an ECU for a 95 for $10- but I think thats just a special SOC special parts tent price.

I think if your just going for stage one you cannot beat BSR or Nortic for that matter but if you really want to go further the hole PPC issue is a non issue, and BSR stage 2 goesn't really count as stage 2 in my opinion its just a cat back. Stage 3 is another thing though, which is where I would like to see the costs, parts list and outputs from SQR on to really see to get a good judgement on this question.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
29 Posts
Well, according to SQR they don't do a core swap so the $850 is to remap your oem ecu. Looks like I'll be overnighting the ecu to them when they let me know the program is complete. They will be able to remap the ecu the same day it arrives and ship it back. Hopefully, I'll only be without my car for 3 to 4 days.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
pjsaggie said:
Well, according to SQR they don't do a core swap so the $850 is to remap your oem ecu. Looks like I'll be overnighting the ecu to them when they let me know the program is complete. They will be able to remap the ecu the same day it arrives and ship it back. Hopefully, I'll only be without my car for 3 to 4 days.
Honestly for stage 1,2, nordic or bsr are the way to go IMO but if you want more I think Maptune is where we have to go, until SQR gets moving on this, or someone being there guine pig and having them go to town with there car. No one really seams to know if and when SQR is planning on going crazy with the 93, I just hope the do it for the 2.0T and not just the v6.
 
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Top