SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a 2001 9-3 SE covertible 5sp and I was looking to get a stage 4 tune and hardware. right now I only have a saab sport exhaust and a K&N panel.

the horsepower # are about the same.
for the sqr stage 4 from automotion I will need a full 3" turbo back exhaust an open air intake and a upgraded intercooler and it makes 291bhp.

for the nordic stage 4 from GS I will need a 3.5bar fuel pressure regulator, the 3" downpipe an upgraded intercooler and the turbo intake pipe and it makes 293bhp.

I also talk to jack stoll and he could make a stage 3 tune for me and I will need the 3" downpipe and maybe a 3" exhaust. He told me that his stage 3 will make about 240whp. He could make a stage 4 tune for me and for that I will need the full 3" exhaust and an upgraded intercooler I didnt get the hp # for that stage 4.

I'm leaning towards the GS nordic stage 4 because I dont have to get rid of my saab sport exhaust. but it requires more hardware. will I really need that turbo intake pipe for the nordic stage 4 from GS or my stock one will work fine

doen anyone know what software does Jack Stoll uses on his tuned ecus

I will like you opinions and If any of you guys are using or used one of this tuners please let me know your experience with them and If anyone has dynoed their setup I will like to see your dyno graphs.

also what will be the drivetrain loss% so I can get an estimate between bhp and what will be the whp

·
Registered
772 Posts
LOTS of opinions on which tuner is better, I would talk to each of them (which is seems like you did) & go with who you feel most comfortable with.

The majority of us have not owned a ECU from each tuner thus we all like what is in our car & probably feel it's the best.

My Viggen has a Nordic ECU which should be on it's way in the near future. Genuine use to sell SQR (so did Jak) & both companies moved on to a different product. Jak to his own software & Nick mover to Nordic.

·
Registered
4,335 Posts
I have owned them all. You live in fl, so if you are up for a road trip then I would drive up and see jak for the weekend. This is after you install all hardware and he can then custom tune your car. If you install jak's, he is very good at getting you another tune after you go to the dyno and send him the logs. I have sqr right now and have had Nordics.

·
Registered
4,857 Posts
They are all going to make similar hp and any one of them can make you a good program for your car. The sw Jak uses is similar to what other people use to tune the ecu. They all have the ability to change some of the fuel and boost and knock maps in the stock ecu and they can give you more and more boost and fuel when you get the hw to support that extra power and boost.

Let the motor breath! Get the air in and get the air out, ie larger intake, larger exhaust and then get the intake air temp down or cooler by using a good ic, once you have all that, you are ready for some decent 20-25psi of boost!
That would be around the stage 3-4 range...

John

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
I really would like jak to tune my car. I've talk to him a couple of times and he is a nice guy and seems to know whats he is doing. But I want a stage 4 and with jack I have to switch to a 3" system that meens I would have to get rid of my saab sport eshaust.

Anyone wants to buy a saab sports exhaust and a viggen intercooler?
What would be a good 3" exhaust system to buy? I really want stainless steel but I live in florida so I think I dont really need a stainless steel system.

What would be the bigest size intercooler I can fit on my car without doing major mods? I'm looking at some intercoolers on Ebay but I dont know what size intercooler I need.

·
Registered
933 Posts
If you want to go with Jak just get his intercooler and exhaust, you know for sure then that he has an ideal tune for it. But then again I don't have an aftermarket ECU so I'm not a guru or anything. Good luck I hope it blows your socks off when it is done:cheesy:

·
Registered
4,335 Posts
jota69 said:
I really would like jak to tune my car. I've talk to him a couple of times and he is a nice guy and seems to know whats he is doing. But I want a stage 4 and with jack I have to switch to a 3" system that meens I would have to get rid of my saab sport eshaust.

Anyone wants to buy a saab sports exhaust and a viggen intercooler?
What would be a good 3" exhaust system to buy? I really want stainless steel but I live in florida so I think I dont really need a stainless steel system.

What would be the bigest size intercooler I can fit on my car without doing major mods? I'm looking at some intercoolers on Ebay but I dont know what size intercooler I need.
What size is the saab sport from the cat back? Must be 2.5 or a tad bigger?

·
Registered
4,857 Posts
Like I said, you have to let the motor breath and a 3" exhaust will help no matter who you choose for a tuner! It will lower your knock and egts more and this will allow the ecu to give it more boost!

The hw is the key to getting good power safely out of you're car. You need to come to that realization... Its the first step in making more power.

John

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
ok then I think I will be getting rid of my saab sport exhaust to get a full 3" exhaust.

anyone wants to buy it?

what would be a good 3" system to buy? or whats the average cost to get it custom made in an exhaust shop?

·
Registered
4,857 Posts
There are quite a few out there. There is the Jt full 3" exhaust from Nick at gs for 532.00 or something... Jak can make you whaterver you want and uses magnaflow free flowing cats and mufflers. I have this system and its great on my ng900 and 450bhp. Search around, but the best deals seem to be from Jak or Jt...

John

·
Registered
428 Posts
I don't think you have stated what your ultimate goal is. If you want power from maybe 250 to 280 whp then the 2.5" will be just fine. But if you're building the thing to the moon and have plans for a bigger GT series turbo or something else down the road, then a 3" would suit you better. But remember prices are generally higher at genuinesaab because their turboback exhaust pieces are stainless steel. If this makes any difference to you it is worth consideration... sometimes it doesn't hurt to pay a bit more for a piece that is fabricated with a lifetime material like stainless steel.

But in the end, the choice is yours. 2.5" for mild-to-heavy tuning and 3" for very heavy tuning.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
slspf2 said:
I don't think you have stated what your ultimate goal is. If you want power from maybe 250 to 280 whp then the 2.5" will be just fine. But if you're building the thing to the moon and have plans for a bigger GT series turbo or something else down the road, then a 3" would suit you better. But remember prices are generally higher at genuinesaab because their turboback exhaust pieces are stainless steel. If this makes any difference to you it is worth consideration... sometimes it doesn't hurt to pay a bit more for a piece that is fabricated with a lifetime material like stainless steel.

But in the end, the choice is yours. 2.5" for mild-to-heavy tuning and 3" for very heavy tuning.
All I'm looking for is a stage 4 tune for now and JSP and sqr require a 3" exhaust and a better intercooler to run their stage 4. with the nordic stage 4 I dont need the 3" exhaust but I will need a 3.5 bar fuel pressure regulator and the upgraded turbo intake pipe witch will cost more than just selling mine and getting a 3" exhaust.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
what is the biggest size intercooler I can use on my 9-3. I'm looking at some on ebay that are selling for a good price but I dont know what is the size I will need to fit my car.

·
Registered
723 Posts
jota69 said:
ok then I think I will be getting rid of my saab sport exhaust to get a full 3" exhaust.

anyone wants to buy it?

what would be a good 3" system to buy? or whats the average cost to get it custom made in an exhaust shop?
i do, still in good shape? :D

1 - 20 of 28 Posts