SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

So I'm trying to help a friend program a new ecm for his 08 9-3 Aero. I have a genuine tech 2 and have the Saab software on it downloaded directly from GM, and am using GlobalTIS on a XP virtual machine.

I swapped in new ecu, requested info for SPS, went to GlobalTIS did remove and replace, downloaded calibration file, went back to the car and went to program the ecu. It got to 76.9% and the car rebooted and I got error line 13 Operation B0, errorcode 85. Tried it again, same thing.

Decided to do it over, and re requested info for SPS, and now GlobalTIS gives me an error saying unrecognized calibration presumably because the calibration is now corrupt, and won't let me continue.

I put the old ecu back in, requested info, went back to remove and replace (this time no error), put the new ecu back in, went to program it, and it went through to the same 76.9% and gave me the same error. From the few other threads I've found, seems like the fix was a new ecu, but not really conclusive. Any ideas out there? Thanks.

·
Registered
93 Posts
You say it's an XP VM, I assume that you're using a USB-Serial adapter, some of which aren't good enough to work properly with the Tech2.

You also might be running into a similar problem I had with my girlfriends 9-5 Auto. I had to program the TCM using pass-thru directly from globalTIS. for some reason downloading to the Tech2, then programming always failed in a similar fashion to what you describe.

Frank.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. The laptop we are using has an actual serial port so no USB adapter. I did try pass through, but I kept getting an error due to unrecognizable calibration, and it wouldn't even try programming, but I only tried it once as a last resort, so I'll give that another shot.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That is the exact how-to I followed. I get to step 30 in the sps programming instructions and that's where I get the error. I will mess around with it some more after work today, trying pass-through. Hopefully, I can get around the "unrecognized calibration file, may be newer version" (or something like that) error.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So I tried pass through, and when it tries to read the new ecu, I get error e4419 "unknown ecu software detected which might be a newer version. Programming has stopped."

I thought I'd try it again with the old ecu and let it read that, then swap over the new ecu on the next screen where it asks for US or EU. This time I get error m4412, "the calibration selected is the current calibration in the control module." What's funny, is that from here, I can select "proceed with same Vin" and go through the whole process again and I won't get the e4419 error.

What I forgot to add earlier is that when doing remote sps after the first failure, I would have to install the old ecu to request info, and in GlobalTIS I would have to select the EU calibration because when I selected US, I would get the "attempting to program the same calibration" type error. Wonder why that trick doesn't work using pass through? I'm doing this under "replace and reprogram" if that matters. From what I've experienced with domestic north American GM, this would give me a better shot at rewriting calibrations.

One other thing I noticed is that the version of GlobalTIS I am using (which came from the link in the forum) only goes up to 146 if I check software download as if I was to update the tech 2. Is there a way to update GlobalTIS to 148, with hopefully newer calibrations? I have version 148 on my tech 2 card right now, but was using 146 while I was trying yesterday.

·
Registered
93 Posts
So I tried pass through, and when it tries to read the new ecu, I get error e4419 "unknown ecu software detected which might be a newer version. Programming has stopped."

I thought I'd try it again with the old ecu and let it read that, then swap over the new ecu on the next screen where it asks for US or EU. This time I get error m4412, "the calibration selected is the current calibration in the control module." What's funny, is that from here, I can select "proceed with same Vin" and go through the whole process again and I won't get the e4419 error.

What I forgot to add earlier is that when doing remote sps after the first failure, I would have to install the old ecu to request info, and in GlobalTIS I would have to select the EU calibration because when I selected US, I would get the "attempting to program the same calibration" type error. Wonder why that trick doesn't work using pass through? I'm doing this under "replace and reprogram" if that matters. From what I've experienced with domestic north American GM, this would give me a better shot at rewriting calibrations.

One other thing I noticed is that the version of GlobalTIS I am using (which came from the link in the forum) only goes up to 146 if I check software download as if I was to update the tech 2. Is there a way to update GlobalTIS to 148, with hopefully newer calibrations? I have version 148 on my tech 2 card right now, but was using 146 while I was trying yesterday.
As far as I know, no. The best GlobalTIS the community has access to only has v146.

I think it only supports upto Model Year 2010 but I`m not 100% sure on this. If that is right, then you'll need to buy a subscription to tis2web here:-

http://epsiportal.com/Site/SAAB/en-GB/Details/AccessoriesCatalog/SaabSlots

Frank.

·
Registered
93 Posts

Although your car is on 08, it may have had a software update in the past that takes it past what GlobalTIS can manage.

Can you get the software part number for the ECU using the Tech2? It would be interesting to check on the tis2web site here:-

https://tis2web.service.gm.com/tis2web/

Enter your VIN, then go through the various stages until you get the info for the latest ECU software. At the top, you should see a 'History' button. click that and you'll see the version history of the software. Compare the part numbers with what you've read from your car.

Frank.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have to double check later, but I'm pretty sure the original ecu has the latest calibration, according to the tis2web portal.

55571124, Fan Calibration changed to have the fan longer active in afterrun due to hot engines.

I was thinking of using the paid subscription to get the latest calibration, but it looks like I already have the latest. Maybe I'll give it a shot anyway. Do you know if I can I use my MDI with the tis2web paid subscription?

·
Registered
93 Posts
I have to double check later, but I'm pretty sure the original ecu has the latest calibration, according to the tis2web portal.

55571124, Fan Calibration changed to have the fan longer active in afterrun due to hot engines.

I was thinking of using the paid subscription to get the latest calibration, but it looks like I already have the latest. Maybe I'll give it a shot anyway. Do you know if I can I use my MDI with the tis2web paid subscription?

I`m afraid I`ve never used tis2web, so I can't really say but I imagine so!

Whats the date of that P/N? I wonder if it's newer than 2010 (or possible is 2010) that it might be newer than GlobalTIS understands...

But I`m guessing to be honest....

Frank.

·
Super Moderator
20,203 Posts
TIS2000 is easy enough to setup and use. Why not try that?

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Calibration says its from April 24 2008.

I've tried TIS2000 as well, and it gives me the same unrecognized calibration error.

The last time I tried programming, I left a meter on the battery with my battery charger and it was reading 13+ volts steady throughout the process.

So I just tried a subscription to tis2web, and was able to use the tech2 pass through with EU calibration, and programming actually made it to 100%! I was all excited and went to add/marry the module and I got an unrecognized calibration error. So much for that.

I'm trying again with my MDI to see if there's any difference, but expecting the same result.

*UPDATE* I got it working with the MDI! programming went through 100% same as before and this time I was able to add/remove with the tech 2.

Thanks for everyone's suggestions!

·
Registered
80 Posts
Could you point me in the right direction for where you got the MDI and how the setup is different than the Tech 2. I'm in a similar situation and this may be my last resort to follow your exact steps. Thanks!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts