SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, Here's the info and the question on my '92 Turbo Vert:

- Significantly large wet puddle of clean petrochemical fluid behind passenger wheel.
- Some smearing like from a seep further forward on tranny case, but no active drip at that location.
- CV boots and the passenger side steering rack boot are relatively dry. The steering boot has ooze on it, but not clean oil like is on the ground.
- The car uses some power steering fluid, but the reservoir reads halfway up the FULL section on the dipstick.

- The drip seems to come from a hole in the chassis behind the lower A-arm on passenger side.

What do you think is leaking?

Thanks very much for your replies and pointers.

It's been a while since I posted on the forum because this knowledge base has been a godsend to me. I've learned so much about keeping our c900s running great. Thanks to all!

·
Registered
3,833 Posts
The only two things potentially over there are power steering and brake fluid. Fuel is on the other side. Oil would be unlikely to make it that far.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yea, I'm sure y'all figured it was a power steering leak. Guess I'll be doing the pump or rack soon. Cheers,

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the tip Jim! That is exactly above the drip, and the steering rack boot is not wet, nor is the PS belt. I'll post what I find out when I get a chance to work on it. (Too much other stuff to fix around here today!)

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I do think this was a leak from the reservoir. The hoses leaving the reservoir were wet. All I did was tighten hose clamps. No more fluid on the ground and fluid level is stable. Thanks much for the help.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I just discovered the same issue on my 92' vert (i.e. oil dripping from drain tube behind passenger wheel. I hope tightening the clamps on the reservoir fixes it.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I checked again and the leak is still there. Fluid looks like the power steering fluid. The right inside wheel well is covered by a giant wet spot. Its hard to tell where anything is coming from because everything in the lower half of the engine bay is coated in oil of some type-too many leaks. I may drain the reservoir and remove it so I can clean the area and inspect the hoses. I don't want to replace hoses without cause, but that may be a good thing to do anyway.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I hope it's something else. That drain tube is from the ventilation inlet box. If anything drips, it should be water.
I took my car to Saabworks today to have the SRS light reset and while I was there I asked Jared about this leak. He reiterated your comment but added another comment that the AC system has oil in it and it was possibly leaking. He said he could know for certain what was causing it without looking. Maybe I misheard but I think he said it could be compressor oil. Doe this sound plausible?

·
Registered
149 Posts
Does your A/C work? If it does, I'd say it's an unlikely culprit.
No. I filled it with refrigerant last summer and it worked for a month, then it stopped. I know I have a slow leak somewhere, I assumed it was the condenser. I guess the evaporator could be the issue.

·
Registered
65 Posts
You didn't happen to fill it with refrigerant with UV dye in it, did you (some of the common retail products include this; in pro stuff the dye is separate)? If so, a UV light will tell the tale.

·
Registered
149 Posts
You didn't happen to fill it with refrigerant with UV dye in it, did you (some of the common retail products include this; in pro stuff the dye is separate)? If so, a UV light will tell the tale.
I did add a dye after I filled the system with refrigerant. Unfortunately, I did not find the source of the leak. I just want to know if the symptom of oil dripping out of the evaporator drain could be due to a simple leak or if it means the compressor failed or something else.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Compressor failure is a separate thing; the compressor can fail and the system remain sealed. If it's oil from the A/C, and there's dye in the system, it should show in that oil. If the oil does not show traces of UV dye, it's probably from somewhere else.

If it were me, I think I'd thoroughly degrease that area so I could get a clear idea of exactly where the leak is coming from and how bad it is. The PS reservoir is definitely something to look at.

If you can post a picture of the area it might help others to diagnose it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
About this Discussion
15 Replies
6 Participants
02Pilot
SaabCentral Forums
SaabCentral forum the most comprehensive Saab resource on the internet. Join our discussions on the Saab 9-3, Saab 9-5, Saab 900, Saab 9000 and all other Saab models, choose your forum.
Full Forum Listing