SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I got bored and figured i'd pull my rocker cover and see if I could see any reason for my noisy timing chain.

Took it off, all appears sweet so far as I can tell. I took some pictures so you guys could confirm. The rubber/plastic bit on the rocker cover that sits directly a top of the cam chain - that is meant to be hard or soft? mines hard, plastic i think almost.

Anyhow, sprockets seem good to my untrained eye - car only has 139,000km's on it, so it shouldn't be too bad right? can I easily calculate chain length to see if its stretched at all, and if it is stretched can I just use a split link and leave sprockets as they're in ok condition?

What else would cause the sort of clacking sound i hear with the hood up, sounds like its right from the rocker cover cam chain side - don't think its pullys. Noisy valve train??

Also one of the cam retainers caps appears to be bolted on upside down! the numbers are all consistant across all of them except this one, where they're clearly upside down. Detrimental effects of this??

Pics top to bottom:

1. general shot
2. sprockets up close, chain link brand - that original? sprocket condition?
3. cam caps facing same way as head stamped numbers - the sloppy X on cam, that original markings or mechanic markings?
4. upside down 10 cap? others match head numbers again.

·
Registered
13,296 Posts
FruitLooPs said:
The rubber/plastic bit on the rocker cover that sits directly a top of the cam chain - that is meant to be hard or soft? mines hard, plastic i think almost.

Anyhow, sprockets seem good to my untrained eye - car only has 139,000km's on it, so it shouldn't be too bad right? can I easily calculate chain length to see if its stretched at all, and if it is stretched can I just use a split link and leave sprockets as they're in ok condition?

What else would cause the sort of clacking sound i hear with the hood up, sounds like its right from the rocker cover cam chain side - don't think its pullys. Noisy valve train??

Also one of the cam retainers caps appears to be bolted on upside down! the numbers are all consistant across all of them except this one, where they're clearly upside down. Detrimental effects of this??
1) new ones are soft, but they harden quickly
2) sprocket teeth are rounded, not sharp; they're OK
3) measure the length of the chain tensioner to determine wear; refer to your manual
4) that cam bearing cap is upside down but if the hollow retaining bolt is in the right place (there should be two different bolts on the bearing caps, not counting the sprocket-end caps), it shouldn't be the cause of your noise.

Some clatter is normal. Some comes from the fuel injectors

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok bit of a strange update..

I just did the second trans change and after running it again i noticed it's not noisy at all, even with the bonnet up - quiet as a mouse. Soon as it goes into gear, D or R the noise starts - a rattle. Even if i've got the brakes on and the car isn't moving. :confused:

Whats the most likely cause for said noise, I think at least the chains probably sweet. :)

Has the specificed amount of fluid, its not short - new filter as of last change 3 odd weeks ago. All other fluids are ok, trans shifts pretty smoothly - far better than flatmates auto accord.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
if your convinced its coming from the RH engine side

It occurs when you start to load the engine, & it sounds like a chain rattle
1) don,t know auto,s but do you have a fluid pump being driven off the serp belt - dodgy pump / bearing
2) there is the balance chain set up

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
1. Not sure off the top of my head
2. I'd say so, no service history to indicate its been chopped - cars pretty smooth but i've got nothing to compare it to.

I have a feeling one of the pullys might be on its way out, not sure. Later today I pulled over because I thought i might have a flat (just missing a wheel weight, dammit) and noticed when i had the hood down and engine in neutral the rattle was back.

Might be erratic, but it certainly only came on when i was using the shifter at lunch time after doing the fluid - same noise for sure too.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts