SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, the 3 windshield wiper sprinklers have stopped working all of a sudden. I can hear the pump works (from the noise) so I don't believe it is the pump.
I searched through the forums (perhaps not enough) and basically seem to see that one of the first steps might be to pop the hood and remove the "insulation liner" just underneath the hood and see if any problems with the nozzles, etc.
The thread I saw.
Is this correct? Any links to a DiY, etc.?
Anything to be careful of, if that is indeed the first step?

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
You'll have to work your way from one (either) end of the system to the other. It could be a blockage where the supply reaches the hood, concealed by the hood liner, or it could be the pipe detaching from the pump, or the pump impeller detaching from the motor spindle (i.e. you still hear the pump). Since all three nozzles have stopped it suggests your blockage or defect is upstream of the first nozzle (left side).

The fasteners holding the hood liner are irritating. Supposedly reusable, they seem to break on removal. New ones from Saab suppliers are not cheap but as someone said in that referred thread, maybe generic. Once you get one off you have a chance to visualise how they release and lock. I broke several and the new ones don't seem to hold as securely.

The pumps etc. are relatively easily accessible under the front, and bear in mind that under certain circumstances the headlight wiper/washer pump operates simultaneous with the windscreen pump so you might be hearing the former whilst the latter has failed. The NRVs are notorious for sticking closed.

You don't state what year or version your car is so I don't know which version to describe! The diagram is up to m.y. 2001.

Doug

2001 wash wipe system.png

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Doug, thanks a lot for the detailed feedback. You're right, I could be hearing the pump for the headlights. and not the windscreen..... I never thought of that.
Car is 9-5 V6 B308E, 2000. (This info automatically used to be part of signature on posts before the site revamp. No longer I guess.)

·
Registered
SAABless booo
2,520 Posts
I have no idea where you are, what's the outdoor temperature like there? Are you running Summer Fluid and the temperature is now below freezing?
To figure out which pump you're hearing, it's pretty simple. The headlight pump goes off twice in a row. Wiiiiiiir.....(Pause).... Wiiiiiiiir. It's way louder than the windshield washers.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts