SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a 1997 model 900SE with Koni shocks and Eibach springs (came as a package).

The ride is starting to annoy me now - its a little too hard even at full soft so I am thinking of changing the springs.

Was considering a set of Viggen springs as they are what, 20% lower than standard (I've got a set of Vig bumpers to fit as well which is prompting this change!) but I don't know if they'll fit...

What springs will fit this car (later suspension setup)?

Cheers guys

·
Registered
774 Posts
I believe the Viggen springs will only fit in the back, front won't work.
Also from what I've heard people seem to believe the Konis are a bit harder then for instance Bilsteins, even when the Konis are on the softest setup.

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm not going to replace the shocks as I like the ability to change the ride.

Anyone used Koni springs before? Any good?

What I want is:

• Good handling
  • Low look (but not low enough to take out my Vig bumpers!)
  • Soft ride - at least enough so that the Konis can take the rest of it!
Confused :confused:

·
Registered
7,975 Posts
900 and 9-3 front springs are not interchangeable bit it may be worth looking at your rear springs to make sure they have not sagged, my sons 900 did and the ride was terrible

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
Abbott? - claim to be only 20% stiffer than stock with a 1" drop. They are still not that comfortable and I think they are impracticaly low. The suspension on these cars is pretty dire IMO - you can't have comfort, acceptable ride height and performance all at the same time.

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think I'm going to retro-fit a set of 9-3 standard springs in, combined with the Koni shocks I think it'll improve the ride and the handling should stay fairly good...

Once the Viggen bumpers are on, I'll rethink it if it's too high, but I think the Viggen is low enough!

·
Registered
2,203 Posts
I would suggest the harsh ride isn't the Eibacks but the Koni's. Just replace the shocks with the oem stockers and I'll bet you will find you have the perfect balance.

·
Registered
216 Posts
IMO Eibachs with Koni is great. Stock shockers give a bouncy ride on second rate roads but are fine on A1 roads. I am running Koni Sport adjustable in the centre setting. I found the softest to be too soft. Second setting gave a little axle tramp on launch and the third setting was just right. I also liked them on the hard setting but a little too much wheel spin coming out of corners.

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
Well I'm half way through an un-lowering scheme :confused:

Standard (worn) shocks and -50mm (Intrax?) to Koni adjustaburbles and -35mm Lesjofors springs. So far it's Goooooood! :D

I'm driving a Laguna at the minute: cue "Ride of the Valkyries" for cornering effectiveness ;oops: http://www.gutenberg.org/files/10177/10177-m/10177-m-001.mp3

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Update:

Have bought a set of cheap second hand standard 9-3 springs (£10, can't go too far wrong!) and am now sourcing some upper seat mounts as per the wonderful DIP's instructions.

Is anyone using standard 9-3 springs with Koni shocks? What is the ride like? I don't throw the car around that much, I do drive it hard but generally only in a straight line :lol:

I don't want to compromise the handling too much although I'm fully aware that raising the car's ride height will increase the body roll of course. My main question is whether the Konis on their own are good enough to keep it all fairly tight...

Cheers guys.

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Maybe a change of plan....

Have emailed Abbott and they suggest their springs with my dampers, the springs allow 10-15mm of lowering with 35mm of suspension travel - sounds a lot nicer...

Just got to find out the cost now... :eek:

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hmm, seem a little steep to be honest :eek:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts