SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I really just have one question for the guys who have done this. On the rear which side is top and bottom on the springs. Does the side where the coils are closer together go on top?

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
We have a pretty good write-up about springs
in FAQ section;
http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1284518&postcount=11
I too would like to know the answer to the OP's question, I have vogtlands already installed and asked the question before I did the install with no answer as well. The link above is useless, unless I am blind, I did not see the info the OP requested in there.

In any case it appears the rears have the same size coil at the top and bottom, so which way wouldn't appear to matter. But who knows, maybe it does.

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
I'm pretty sure I remember reading that the tighter coils go toward the bottom, and that's how I did it on my car. I haven't had any problems in the 9000 miles I've had the new springs on.

·
Registered
232 Posts
The springs- OEM and aftermarket- for our cars are progressive, meaning the rate increases as they are compressed. Thus....tighter coiling to the bottom is correct.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Xtopher- There is nothing in that write up about spring placement.
To everyone els- I talked to megan racing tech developement yesterday and whoever says the springs go in a certain way on the rear is wrong. I was told that it is just a visual preference because of the trailing arm style setup, it has no impact on performance of the spring.

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
To everyone els- I talked to megan racing tech developement yesterday and whoever says the springs go in a certain way on the rear is wrong. I was told that it is just a visual preference because of the trailing arm style setup, it has no impact on performance of the spring.
Yeah, that makes sense to me. The spring compresses the same distance with the same speed no matter how you turn it.

However, I swear I read on here somewhere that the springs are supposed to be installed with the megan racing lettering upside down. That doesn't make it gospel though.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Yeah, that makes sense to me. The spring compresses the same distance with the same speed no matter how you turn it.

However, I swear I read on here somewhere that the springs are supposed to be installed with the megan racing lettering upside down. That doesn't make it gospel though.
On the front, that makes sense. They only fit one way, really. On the rear, I found they fit the best in the way illustrated above. As far as I know, that's the correct way.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
They installed just as easy both ways for me. The reason I put them in with megan racing upside down is because the when I put them in with the more compact coils in at the bottom and put they weight of the car on them it looked like the springs coils were stuck together and would make the car bottom out so I flipped them and problem solved.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts