SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 20 of 123 Posts

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have read posts regarding spring fracture on our 9-3SS/SC/CV cars but had not yet read about the special warranty. I apologize if this is old news.

I received a letter from SAAB & GM today informing me that suspension springs on the 9-3 are now covered by a 10 year or 120K mile special warranty against fracture. Model years covered are 2003 thru 2006. The letter also included a claim form to reimburse owners who have already suffered this damage and have paid for repairs. Claims for previous cost of repair must be received by Jan 31, 2011.

No action is necessary for other owners, but the problem is blamed on salt used for de-iceing and sand/gravel used for roadway safety in snowy climates. Great news for all of us snow belt residents!

Reminds me of the wheel bolt problem on 9-5's due to switching between steel and alloy wheels for winter & summer operation. Oh well, I will save the leter and hope I never suffer a broken spring.

This should be a relief for those 9-3 owners not living in the snow belt.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Could you scan and email me a copy of that letter, please. You can feel free to white out or omit any personal information.

I just had my suspension replaced LAST WEEK! This would help me out quite a bit.

Thank you in advance!

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
I got my letter yesterday too.

If you haven't got one you can call 1-800-955-9007 or 1-800-204-0261, the first number is customer assistance, the sencond is reimbursement dept. Tell them the # on the document is 15917

I too already had mine replaced, almost two years ago. I called and told them what happened and how I got blown off when it did happen and I tried to get some goodwill. I ended up getting vogtland springs instead and did all the work myself. I hope they will reimburse me still seeing as how I did not replace with OEM parts..... I am mailing in my reimbursement form today with all my reciepts and stuff they require.

Oh and if you didn't get a letter it may be because they are only sending it out to the salt belt states.

·
Registered
605 Posts
I received my letter yesterday as well. I just had this issue last May and had my front 2 springs replaced as well as the strut mounts. Saab bought the parts but I paid labor ($460). I mailed out my reimbursement form this morning.....I can use that money for brakes later this year before I make another run on the Dragon!! :cheesy:

·
Registered
12,509 Posts
I received my letter yesterday as well. I just had this issue last May and had my front 2 springs replaced as well as the strut mounts. Saab bought the parts but I paid labor ($460). I mailed out my reimbursement form this morning.....I can use that money for brakes later this year before I make another run on the Dragon!! :cheesy:
You shouldn't have paid a dime.....

·
Registered
6,596 Posts
I got my springs replaced about 3 or 4 weeks back. I'm going to stop by my dealer soonish to find out if I can get reimbursed. So far, I haven't gotten a letter from SAAB. Does anyone have any advice or additional details I can use when I go in?

I did get a copy of the email from the other thread, but it was a little vague about what the program is, specifically.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Wow. Talk about good timing eh? I just had the 50K mile warranty done to my car at the dealership 2k miles ahead of schedule and they said that the front spring was broken.. Had both of them replaced and its fine now. Have to love that 100,000 mile warranty.

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi guys. If the spring hasn't broken will they replace it anyway, or do they only fix it afterwards?
Only after failure.

The failure can be a broken spring or a significantly weakened spring - at least the way I read the lettter. The letter specifically mentions the car will drop from 0.4 inches to 2 inches, so I am "assuming" the smaller drop is a sign of a weak spring. But maybe the difference in amount of drop depends upon which coil actually snaps.

The letter also says, in bold and underlined type, that owners who have not experienced this problem do not need to do anything. In other words, don't bring your car to the Dealer as spring replacement will not be done pre-emptively.

·
Registered
605 Posts
You shouldn't have paid a dime.....
Trust me, I tried not to....last year was a bad year for me and my 9-3......

·
Registered
202 Posts
Hi,

Can anyone post a scanned copy of the form somewhere (personal details obviously removed)? I don't live in the US, but they use Salt on the roads here and I suffered a broken spring. The dealer said they would try to get 'special customer request' to pay for them, but Saab said no. I wrote to Saab UK about that and the whole list of other issues I had with the car and got a very poor letter back.

I realise that Saab UK and Saab US will have different rules - but it's worth a shot - I had to pay 500 UKP to have mine changed!

Thanks
Garry

·
Registered
143 Posts
Nice, got mine in the mail this afternoon. Will be glad to receive $520 back in the bank that I spent last month to replace my front springs.

To all who received letters, did you all file with the NHTSA already? I did when my springs broke, I'm wondering if only those who filed received this letter.

·
Registered
6,596 Posts
Hi,

Can anyone post a scanned copy of the form somewhere (personal details obviously removed)?
Garry
I second this request :) I'd like to go to my dealer armed with this info, since I haven't gotten a letter yet.

FWIW, I haven't done the NHTSA thing yet and have NOT gotten a letter. My dealer does send me other letters and coupons now and then.

·
Registered
12,509 Posts
Nice, got mine in the mail this afternoon. Will be glad to receive $520 back in the bank that I spent last month to replace my front springs.

To all who received letters, did you all file with the NHTSA already? I did when my springs broke, I'm wondering if only those who filed received this letter.
I filed last summer.... no letter.

Note the TSB number is what people need. Can't someone just put that out?

·
Registered
78 Posts
This might be ridiculous, but after talking to GenuineSaab.com aka Taliaferro Imports, it seems possible to order H&R's 30mm springs and have your dealer put them on and GM will reimburse it. Four OEM springs cost about $250 and these H&R's cost about $240, so why wouldn't GM accept it? Am I crazy or not?

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
15917 is the number guys
I would have said the number 15917 is the form number of the reimbursement document.

There is no TSB identified on the letter, but the number 100204003 (printed on the bottom of both letter and reimbursement form) is closer to GM's standard TSB numbering system: YY-XX-XX-XXX

So maybe the TSB is 10-02-04-003

1 - 20 of 123 Posts