SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I'm trying to wrap my head around the spring codes (both front and rear) for the 9-5. I can find lots of posts of the sort "if you have this model, use this spring," but I can't find any threads that actually discuss the physical differences between the spring codes. Has anyone found any info regarding how the codes correspond to spring rate and ride height? Are all the different springs interchangeable between the various 9-5 models and trims, or are there other differences in other suspension components that dictate which spring(s) can and cannot be used?

For me, specifically, I need to replace the rear springs on my 2003 Aero wagon. I want to swap out the completely shot OEM "sport" springs with whatever will give me the stiffest spring rate with the tallest ride height. Yes, I want to raise my Aero rather than lower it. Apologies to the purists!

Thanks!

·
Registered
721 Posts
Hi all,

I'm trying to wrap my head around the spring codes (both front and rear) for the 9-5. I can find lots of posts of the sort "if you have this model, use this spring," but I can't find any threads that actually discuss the physical differences between the spring codes. Has anyone found any info regarding how the codes correspond to spring rate and ride height? Are all the different springs interchangeable between the various 9-5 models and trims, or are there other differences in other suspension components that dictate which spring(s) can and cannot be used?

For me, specifically, I need to replace the rear springs on my 2003 Aero wagon. I want to swap out the completely shot OEM "sport" springs with whatever will give me the stiffest spring rate with the tallest ride height. Yes, I want to raise my Aero rather than lower it. Apologies to the purists!

Thanks!
you should use spring spacers. That is what most Aero owners do when the springs sag.

New spring will sag a bit, so spacers is the most intelligent way to go.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the suggestion. I'll probably use spacers as well. The current springs and dampers are shot, though, so a replacement right now is definitely warranted.

My original question still remains, though: are all these springs (spring codes) interchangeable? Do the different codes denote different spring rates and spring lengths? If so, I would think they'd all be interchangeable, with perhaps some additional shimming necessary for camber/alignment.

I see that Lesjöfors makes a heavy-duty rear spring for the non-sport suspension wagon. The price is right (under $50), so that's what got me on this whole spring code rabbit hole.

The Lesjöfors site is not cooperative for sharing links, but here's the part on Carid:

https://www.carid.com/2003-saab-9-5-suspension-parts/lesjofors-coil-springs-1618734777.html

·
Registered
721 Posts
THEY are intrchangeable. The Saab Electronic parts Catalog lists all the color codes and the models they fit.

Take look at the WIS if you have one.

Ride height is very important as you know. Spacers and existing springs should work fine to get the ride height back.

With the right ride height shims should not be needed.

·
Registered
10,272 Posts
Saab doesn't publish any information on how the springs differ from one another. It might be helpful if they did, but over the years they typically end up replacing a dozen different spring part numbers with a single one. There was also a generic "sport suspension" spring set that they sold, and for that there was just one version for the sedan and one version for the wagon, regardless of what trim level or engine it had.

I'm curious what's shot about your springs? Replacing them is pretty rare around here. I've seen pictures of Saturn L-series wagon springs where they've sagged so badly that the coils are touching each other, but they don't seem to get that bad on the 9-5, despite both cars having the same rear suspension.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Saab doesn't publish any information on how the springs differ from one another. It might be helpful if they did, but over the years they typically end up replacing a dozen different spring part numbers with a single one. There was also a generic "sport suspension" spring set that they sold, and for that there was just one version for the sedan and one version for the wagon, regardless of what trim level or engine it had.

I'm curious what's shot about your springs? Replacing them is pretty rare around here. I've seen pictures of Saturn L-series wagon springs where they've sagged so badly that the coils are touching each other, but they don't seem to get that bad on the 9-5, despite both cars having the same rear suspension.
Thanks, Jeremy. The first paragraph is what I was after with my original question. There are about 6 different color codes in the EPC, and I couldn't wrap my head around them all! Bummer there's no specifics on spring rate, etc. from SAAB.

As for my rear suspension, there's so much sag with a toddler and dog in the back seat and camping gear in the trunk that there's almost no travel at all. Add to that that the dampers are shot (one is definitely leaking), and it seems overdue to replace the suspension. I can't tell you much about the history of the car before this Spring when I acquired it. I've got about 120k miles on this one.

This is a naive question: are SAAB 9-5 wagon springs really known to be so robust that they don't need replacement? This is my first 9-5 after four OG 9-3 hatchbacks, and those cars seem to need suspension sometime between 100k and 150k miles, depending on how the respective original owner cared for it. I would think the SAAB would be a heavier car than the Saturn, no? That would make me think that if the springs were the same, we'd see more replacements and not less.

·
Registered
721 Posts
Thanks, Jeremy. The first paragraph is what I was after with my original question. There are about 6 different color codes in the EPC, and I couldn't wrap my head around them all! Bummer there's no specifics on spring rate, etc. from SAAB.

As for my rear suspension, there's so much sag with a toddler and dog in the back seat and camping gear in the trunk that there's almost no travel at all. Add to that that the dampers are shot (one is definitely leaking), and it seems overdue to replace the suspension. I can't tell you much about the history of the car before this Spring when I acquired it. I've got about 120k miles on this one.

This is a naive question: are SAAB 9-5 wagon springs really known to be so robust that they don't need replacement? This is my first 9-5 after four OG 9-3 hatchbacks, and those cars seem to need suspension sometime between 100k and 150k miles, depending on how the respective original owner cared for it. I would think the SAAB would be a heavier car than the Saturn, no? That would make me think that if the springs were the same, we'd see more replacements and not less.
The Saab springs sag. They are still good, but lowering the ride height increases toe in and camber. You need to start with measuring your ride height. The WIS has a chart for heights of different models and tire sizes

New springs will set and sag in time as well. That is why some are suggesting not to renew springs.

Coil spring manafacturing is an involved process involving winding, proper alloys, and heat treating the final product. There is a full range of quality in springs OE springs are made for a price. Aftermarket may or may not be high quality......how can you be sure?

Measure the ride height and select the proper spring spacer to get the rear back in spec.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts