SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for the interior measurement of the SportCombi from the ceiling to the load floor. I'd check my local dealership, but they don't have one and only sell a handful of the wagons each year according to them. I need to get a 3D idea of the cargo area as I compare the SportCombi to my Jeep Commander. . .the Saab is a little deeper (front to rear) while being a bit narrower (side to side) than my Jeep. Thanks.

·
Registered
128 Posts
LegalNinja said:
I'm looking for the interior measurement of the SportCombi from the ceiling to the load floor. I'd check my local dealership, but they don't have one and only sell a handful of the wagons each year according to them. I need to get a 3D idea of the cargo area as I compare the SportCombi to my Jeep Commander. . .the Saab is a little deeper (front to rear) while being a bit narrower (side to side) than my Jeep. Thanks.
I was just looking at the manual last night and didn't see this measurement listed. Probably best to just measure it in person.

·
Registered
759 Posts
Load floor to ceiling in rear cargo area = 28.5 inches

Load floor to ceiling in rear seat area with rear seats folded down = 31 inches (the headliner is lower over the rear cargo area and higher over the rear seats, accounts for this difference)

Width of rear cargo door entry = 42 inches

Width of rear cargo area at midpoint (widest area) = 50 inches
(obviously limited by 42 inch entry at cargo door.)

·
Registered
39 Posts
load space...

My favorite tidbit (from the LA Times review):

The rear cargo hold has some surprises, including a smaller storage compartment under the load floor. The space behind the rear seats measures a generous 29.7 cubic feet. With the 60/40 rear seats folded, the cargo hold expands to 72.3 cubic feet, which is more than that of BMW X5, Porsche Cayenne or Range Rover Sport.

http://www.latimes.com/classified/automotive/highway1/la-hy-neil3may03,0,4322281.story

·
Registered
5,873 Posts
Nickshu said:
Load floor to ceiling in rear cargo area = 28.5 inches

Load floor to ceiling in rear seat area with rear seats folded down = 31 inches (the headliner is lower over the rear cargo area and higher over the rear seats, accounts for this difference)

Width of rear cargo door entry = 42 inches

Width of rear cargo area at midpoint (widest area) = 50 inches
(obviously limited by 42 inch entry at cargo door.)
Looks like Nick is right on:D

I just purchased a tanker of a color laser copier yesterday that barely fit in the SC:suprised;

The height of the box (sideways) was 26.5" and I had about 2" to spare so the opening or clearance is 28.5" Once inside you do have a few more inches although not sure how that helps if the clearance is less though.

The utitlity of the SC is great. If I had my SS I wouldn't have been able to fit the box in:(

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I measured the lenght and width of a 9-3 Sedan and came up with 43x40 (roughly) LxW which was almost exactly opposite my Commander. The height of the trunk that I measured (load floor to bottom of speaker deck) was just under 21 inches. Is the load floor of the SportCombi raised relative to the sedan in order to facilitate a flat cargo area all the way to the back of the front seats?

·
Registered
759 Posts
LegalNinja said:
I measured the lenght and width of a 9-3 Sedan and came up with 43x40 (roughly) LxW which was almost exactly opposite my Commander. The height of the trunk that I measured (load floor to bottom of speaker deck) was just under 21 inches. Is the load floor of the SportCombi raised relative to the sedan in order to facilitate a flat cargo area all the way to the back of the front seats?
Yes it is raised to be flat, and also the roof (headliner) is dropped over the rear cargo area to allow space for the gas struts which are hidden between the roof and the headliner.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Also, will any of you post pictures of the cargo area with the seats up and also down? The biggest reason for all this is that I'm trying to figure out if I can safely carry my dog (90lb. black Lab, 26 inches tall at the withers) in her crate (41inches long x 29inches wide) when it's halved (without the top half on). I can do that in my Commander now, but couldn't do it in ANY of the sedans (and the '06 GTI MkV) I owned in the 5 years prior. Thanks.

·
Registered
759 Posts
LegalNinja said:
Also, will any of you post pictures of the cargo area with the seats up and also down? The biggest reason for all this is that I'm trying to figure out if I can safely carry my dog (90lb. black Lab, 26 inches tall at the withers) in her crate (41inches long x 29inches wide) when it's halved (without the top half on). I can do that in my Commander now, but couldn't do it in ANY of the sedans (and the '06 GTI MkV) I owned in the 5 years prior. Thanks.
My 88 lb. very tall and lanky German Shepherd fits just fine in the back, but not in our kennel.

Like I said, the rear hatch entry is 28.5" tall x 42" wide, so it depends on how tall your kennel is. If your kennel will not fit in that entry point, then it just plain won't fit.

I don't put a kennel in the car....I just installed the rear cargo guard (aka dog guard) and the rubber cargo mat from Saab. It makes the rear cargo area like a built in kennel.

·
Registered
5,873 Posts
Nickshu said:
I don't put a kennel in the car....I just installed the rear cargo guard (aka dog guard) and the rubber cargo mat from Saab. It makes the rear cargo area like a built in kennel.
This seems like it would be a great idea for you.

And how tall is your crate? You said how wide it was.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
34 inches tall, but I leave it halved when we travel, so it's only 17 inches tall then which is why I didn't mention it. I'm more concerned about having enough vertical space for her to move around and stretch her legs on long trips.

·
Registered
759 Posts
LegalNinja said:
34 inches tall, but I leave it halved when we travel, so it's only 17 inches tall then which is why I didn't mention it. I'm more concerned about having enough vertical space for her to move around and stretch her legs on long trips.
Should be fine. My GSD can stand (which he insists on doing all the time in the car), sit, turn around, and stretch. He does have to duck his head a little when sitting, but he's pretty long/lanky like I said.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Combi loads

Just out of curiostiy, has anyone ever tried a sheet of plywood (or drywall etc) in a combi? Is it possible to get something like that in there and secure it well enough. I don't have one to try and the geometry is complex enought it is hard for me to figure out.

·
Registered
5,873 Posts
ktnemec said:
Just out of curiostiy, has anyone ever tried a sheet of plywood (or drywall etc) in a combi? Is it possible to get something like that in there and secure it well enough. I don't have one to try and the geometry is complex enought it is hard for me to figure out.
No but it should work on the roof.

·
Registered
759 Posts
ktnemec said:
Crossbars and tiedowns works great. I love going to Home Depot and rolling out to my Saab or Volvo with some huge lumber. Everyone stares like "he'll never fit that in that car". LOL.

Who needs a truck! :D

·
Registered
5,873 Posts
Nickshu said:
Crossbars and tiedowns works great. I love going to Home Depot and rolling out to my Saab or Volvo with some huge lumber. Everyone stares like "he'll never fit that in that car". LOL.

Who needs a truck! :D
Excellent point Nickshu!

Way off topic, but I hate Stupid Utility Vehicles (suv's). If 95% or more of the people that bought those suv's, vs. a minivan or our SC, the US wouldn't have such a big oil crisis going on:x Pure absolute worthless gas hogs!!!

The safety issue of not matching bumpers and not being able to see "thru" or around are another issue...

But I digress.

I am a very pure free market guy so my comments can be taken with a grain of salt:p

Merry Christmas:D

·
Registered
759 Posts
Cosmicflash said:
Excellent point Nickshu!

Way off topic, but I hate Stupid Utility Vehicles (suv's). If 95% or more of the people that bought those suv's, vs. a minivan or our SC, the US wouldn't have such a big oil crisis going on:x Pure absolute worthless gas hogs!!!

The safety issue of not matching bumpers and not being able to see "thru" or around are another issue...

But I digress.

I am a very pure free market guy so my comments can be taken with a grain of salt:p

Merry Christmas:D
My philosophy has always been.....no matter how much space you have, you'll fill it up with junk! Thats why there's no SUV or minivan in my garage. Different strokes..... :cool:

Also if you look at the safety data, the "safety" of larger SUV's is completely cancelled out by the rollover risk....which is the most fatal of all accident types.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts