SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone using 2 pedal start with auto gearbox? Is that ok for 5 spd aisin or not acceptable at all?

If you take as example 9-5 with about 420Nm and 305HP what are the ways to reduce 0-100km/h time?
1) Turning off ESP\TCS – should help, bad for AT also, harder to control
2) Rev it up with holding brake pedal with left foot before start – that should help a lot, but I am afraid gearbox will die fast
3) Install semi-slick tires (something like Michelin PS cup+ instead of regular Michelin PS) – anyone tried such kind tires with FWD SAAB? Should it reduce time for a decent amount?

·
Registered
11,030 Posts
2) Rev it up with holding brake pedal with left foot before start – that should help a lot, but I am afraid gearbox will die fast
You will kill the auto box in a heartbeat doing this. :nono;

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Does anyone using 2 pedal start with auto gearbox? Is that ok for 5 spd aisin or not acceptable at all?

If you take as example 9-5 with about 420Nm and 305HP what are the ways to reduce 0-100km/h time?
1) Turning off ESP\TCS – should help, bad for AT also, harder to control
3) Install semi-slick tires (something like Michelin PS cup+ instead of regular Michelin PS) – anyone tried such kind tires with FWD SAAB? Should it reduce time for a decent amount?
if you have 420nm torque, DONT get slicks or even anything with super high traction ratings. the only thing saving your gearbox (especially if youre launching) is that wheelspin. If you get tires that will plant all the power right away your saab wont be happy.

autos can hold some decent torque, but racing it and trying for launches is going to make your fun short lived. even most manuals need to be beefed up before trying to plant all the power right away. risky business.

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
Please link a video :p

·
Registered
831 Posts
Seems that with 300hp you're going to be heavily traction limited at the start, autobox or no. And I can't imagine there's going to be much benefit to holding it with the brakes given that. My Arc will light up the (admittedly hardish 16s) *instantly* in any conditions without the ESP on. I can leave 15-foot stripes behind without any problems, or jump on it while rolling at 15mph and light it up. Aside from the instant it takes the torque converter to kick in I can't imagine that you're limited by anything but traction.

Also what others said about toasting the gearbox.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
i tried 2 pedal start both with ESP ON and OFF and time was worse than 1 pedal start... I think i have to try starting without ESP and without full throttle. maybe it can help (340Hp 420Nm). Best time atm 6.6sec

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
rolls sucks - who the hell needs car with good dynamic beyond 402m? Probably germans only with their autobahns. I want my car be fast on everyday driving. Also cars accelerate slowly on high speeds and you do not get feel of acceleration. And there are not much safe places where you can race with roll.. and green lights are everywhere around.

·
Registered
08 9-5 Aero
2,293 Posts
rolls sucks - who the hell needs car with good dynamic beyond 402m? Probably germans only with their autobahns. I want my car be fast on everyday driving. Also cars accelerate slowly on high speeds and you do not get feel of acceleration. And there are not much safe places where you can race with roll.. and green lights are everywhere around.
Well I can tell you this much as I don't race: These autos weren't designed for stop launches. I would have to disagree w/you on the "slowly on high speeds" with this car. That is one of this cars best traits.......it likes to be pushed at speeds 40 and up as opposed to 0-up. It's just not that type of car like a Mustang or Camaro is from a stop. I'd have more fun running along side one of these at 70 and letting it go from there. All I have is a open air intake and it pulls so much harder........may not be much to a tuned car owner, but it's ok for me. Next time your at a light, let the other guy launch and you moderately launch, then get on it. You will still probably beat him. So many people are amazed when they just get on it from a stop, and then "whoosh" I pass them. Their still thinking I'm behind them in the other lane.;ol;

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
;ol; :cheesy: :p

I concur wholeheartedly.

Get a bit of roll going, and WHOOOSH!

Don't mess with a moving Saab! :)

Well I can tell you this much as I don't race: These autos weren't designed for stop launches. I would have to disagree w/you on the "slowly on high speeds" with this car. That is one of this cars best traits.......it likes to be pushed at speeds 40 and up as opposed to 0-up. It's just not that type of car like a Mustang or Camaro is from a stop. I'd have more fun running along side one of these at 70 and letting it go from there. All I have is a open air intake and it pulls so much harder........may not be much to a tuned car owner, but it's ok for me. Next time your at a light, let the other guy launch and you moderately launch, then get on it. You will still probably beat him. So many people are amazed when they just get on it from a stop, and then "whoosh" I pass them. Their still thinking I'm behind them in the other lane.;ol;

·
Registered
412 Posts
Story time ;ol; :
I was in my 9-3 hatch turning left at a light on a road near my house (keep in mind that over here that means going across lanes of opposing traffic) and a red 300zx decided to run the light. I was right in front of him when he gunned it so before he could plant his nose in my right b-pillar I slammed the throttle to the floor (I figured braking would make sure I got hit) and (completely stock) left two short black streaks where I went from 8mph to 40mph as fast as possible. From a stop, I would have been hit since he missed me by a foot or so. Rolling SAABs are much faster than expected.

·
Registered
08 9-5 Aero
2,293 Posts
Story time ;ol; :
I was in my 9-3 hatch turning left at a light on a road near my house (keep in mind that over here that means going across lanes of opposing traffic) and a red 300zx decided to run the light. I was right in front of him when he gunned it so before he could plant his nose in my right b-pillar I slammed the throttle to the floor (I figured braking would make sure I got hit) and (completely stock) left two short black streaks where I went from 8mph to 40mph as fast as possible. From a stop, I would have been hit since he missed me by a foot or so. Rolling SAABs are much faster than expected.
I think that is the beauty of these cars. I'm not sure if any other turbocharged car........WRX, Sonata, etc. has the ability to cover ground nearly as fast from low speeds as does the Saab. I mean really, this car is faster flooring from rolling than most cars are from a stop and flooring. A blast to drive literally.:cheesy:

·
Registered
505 Posts
When you guys say toast your gearbox, how bad is it actually for your car? I've done it several times in the past and now, I'm freaking out :( Ummm... What can I do to help my transmission, besides just changing the fluid do you guys believe in tranny additives?

Thanks

Oh but yeah I don't think the brake thing actually helps, I think it only really helps with cars with launch control like a GTI or something else.

·
Registered
76 Posts

gotta love the break boosting i went through a tranny in my s60r in about a month doing this at 475hp.....

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
made 0-100 in 6.2 today. brake boost + esp off

0-10 km/h: 0,69 0,7 1,02
0-20 km/h: 1,24 1,23 1,52
0-30 km/h: 1,77 1,77 2,02
0-40 km/h: 2,49 2,38 2,53
0-50 km/h: 3,07 3,01 3,07
0-60 km/h: 3,61 3,55 3,58
0-70 km/h: 4,17 4,11 4,22
0-80 km/h: 4,79 4,74 4,84
0-90 km/h: 5,44 5,39 5,47
0-100 km/h: 6,27 6,21 6,2

·
Registered
26 Posts
Last summer I tested different configurations and managed 5,8sec (+/-0,2) from 0 to 100km/h.

I have tried 2 pedal start but in my case it`s useless. 245/45R17 Michelin Pilot Sports don`t have enough traction with 400Nm in 1. gear and 500Nm in 2.-4. gears. Differential Protection program is also a pain in the äss.

Actually I would not recomend 2 pedal start to anyone. It better to get a proper tune or just an increase in throttle responce(if tune is not wanted).

It would be nice to try out drag tires, to find out what the best time would be. Perhaps 4,8sec?:lol:

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
i got maptun software 420Nm 340Hp. with 1 pedal i can make 6.6 at best.
i do not want slicks.. But did 245 45 17 fit well? I want make a switch to 50 R16. was not sure if i should stick with 235 or try 245.. Which offset? Something like standard 49 or maybe something like 35?

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I have tried 2 pedal start but in my case it`s useless.:lol:
Are you sure you did it correct? I mean you can not stand on brake more then like half of second, since results will go bad for some reason. Also you probably should not press full throttle before car moves. I am still not sure how to make correct start.

·
Registered
26 Posts
In my case 2 pedal start is like launch controll. Brake pedal down, RPM to 3500, second of waiting to build up boost and start.:cheesy:

Actually I can`t get any better 0-100km/h time, because there`s just no traction. I believe 5,8 would be the best result with these tires.

My bigger intrest is 60 to 120km/h times and 100 to 200km/h. Lower speeds are just like raping with almost 2t FWD;)

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Do you have some software modifications for better working of launch control? Do you turn off TCS for better starts? 5.8 is really great result for AT 9-5.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts