SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
sport mode changes the whole feel of the car on my 02 95 aero automatic, the turbo seems to spool faster and the exhaust is alot louder even at the same rpms as it would be not in sport mode, right when I hit sport mode the exhaust gets so much loader and deeper tone (I have an aftermarket high flow exhaust NO cut out valve), I think it doesn't limit boost as much in sport mode (I think when it's not in sport mode the wastegate dumps alot of exhaust to improve economy), the transmission is also alot more responsive and so is throttle response, does anyone have any knowledge on the sport mode it seems like a whole different ecu tune

·
Registered
11,383 Posts
ORIO have new sport button in stock in Nyköping, Sweden. It costs stunning 17 EUR.
This button comes with padded envelope and it costs 9 EUR.
Total 26 EUR (PayPal suits me perfect).
Customs fees etc not include.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Naaah, I can't buy it, they need a company reg no (which I can do but they want a VAT number - which I've never registered for -being in Australia. And I can't change the 'Country' field. Looks like they only sell to Swedish companies.

·
Registered
10,423 Posts
I don't think sport mode does anything fundamental to the engine operation that you couldn't do by pressing harder on the accelerator. Well, maybe transmission shift map is a bit different.

The car I drove for work a lot was a real demon in Sport mode. It was a Chevy Volt, with an electric motor and no transmisison per se. Sport mode simply changed the mapping of the car's response to the accelerator pedal. But it sure was peppy in Sport mode! (I.e. it went faster for less of a press on the 'gas').

·
Registered
10,423 Posts
Conceivably a tune could remap the torque request versus pedal position curve. I assume that a pedal mapping where the power seems to be increasing at an increasing rate as you depress the accelerator would feel a lot more sporty and inviting quicker driving than a mapping where the torque response increases less as the pedal is depressed further.

·
Registered
321 Posts
From what I recall about sport mode, is that it opens the throttle more per pedal input. I don't remember the the percentage increase, but it is definitely noticeable in my '07 sedan

·
Registered
10,423 Posts
From what I recall about sport mode, is that it opens the throttle more per pedal input. I don't remember the the percentage increase, but it is definitely noticeable in my '07 sedan
Not only that, the response curve is probably different. I expect that a sporty throttle feel gives you increasing amounts of extra power for each increment of movement, so it feels like the car really wants to go fast.

That seems to be the case with the Chev Volt that I have driven extensively. Sport mode makes me drive like a yahoo responsible civic citizen aiming to get the job done. And obviously there is no change to transmission mapping--it has only the single-geared electric motor.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts