SaabCentral Forums banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
I've driven my 2011 Turbo4 on a 100 mi. round trip twice in the last week, over a mountain on the same route I've driven a lot. Once with ESP on, and once with it off. No discernible difference other than being able to get into a drift with ESP off, and activate ESP momentarily when it's on. Shift points didn't change on 5 spd AT. The manual for my car says only ESP is disabled by the switch, and ESP OFF is the only lamp that lights. There is no SPORT lamp.

ECS was a thinko. I edited it the other day to say ESP when I noticed.

Thank You Okrum.

Geez it sounds like we have two different cars. I'm going to post pics up later on this evening. Pics of SPORT illuminated on the dash and of the bottom button with the skidding car icon. My 2011 manual specifically states that ESP and TCS are can be turned off. I understand that, but when I hit the button for it, SPORT illuminates. Stryker/Saab must have had a few discrepencies towards the end.

My daughter is presently driving a 2008, and if my memory serves me correctly the bottom button on that particular car has an "S" on it with a small shift stick icon. And SPORT also illuminates on her dash as well, but I'd have to double check all that to be sure...

·
Registered
831 Posts
Thank You Okrum.

Geez it sounds like we have two different cars. I'm going to post pics up later on this evening. Pics of SPORT illuminated on the dash and of the bottom button with the skidding car icon. My 2011 manual specifically states that ESP and TCS are can be turned off. I understand that, but when I hit the button for it, SPORT illuminates. Stryker/Saab must have had a few discrepencies towards the end.

My daughter is presently driving a 2008, and if my memory serves me correctly the bottom button on that particular car has an "S" on it with a small shift stick icon. And SPORT also illuminates on her dash as well, but I'd have to double check all that to be sure...
I'm pretty sure the base model Turbo4 I have is different than yours. Which AT do you have? If it's the 5 speed + standard wheels/suspension, it might just be that Enterprise (my car was originally a lease) ordered a completely bone stock batch of them. I always thought you got SPORT mode with the AF40 (6 speed) but not the AF57 (5 speed), but it looks like you could get it on either, from the link I posted above.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I'm pretty sure the base model Turbo4 I have is different than yours. Which AT do you have? If it's the 5 speed + standard wheels/suspension, it might just be that Enterprise (my car was originally a lease) ordered a completely bone stock batch of them. I always thought you got SPORT mode with the AF40 (6 speed) but not the AF57 (5 speed), but it looks like you could get it on either, from the link I posted above.
I have the 5 speed. No fog lights. No auto up Windows (only auto down) no sun roof, no slider on the arm rest. It has 17 X 7.5" rims which appears to be an upgrade. The original factory wheel sticker I the door jamb was removed and replaced. It is no longer legible lol.

·
Registered
831 Posts
Nice! Your panel is identical to mine. I thought I was up on all the SPS updates for my VIN but maybe I should check again. It's also possible my VIN is in the GM DB as a grandpa car. ???

Reactions: Chief

·
Registered
122 Posts
I didn't run my VIN yet, just didn't think about it. Just drove the 08 and my 11. Only difference is the picture on the 08 has "S" and a stick shift on it. The 11 has paddle shifters. I find them useless except getting in the way of my fingers LOL.

On both cars, sport comes on dash and stays on. Any gear. Drive or manual mode. Up shifts under light/moderate acceleration take a little longer, more peddle increases this affect. Down shifts come noticeably quicker. I find this useful since I frequently downshift manually, not to stop the car, just to help ease on the brakes and hold on hills. Again, until I find out whether VSC and TCM stay active or not will determine me using sport mode. If they're off it up shifts fine and I'll continue to downshift manually.

This week I was clocking along through a series of green lights. The roads had snow. Someone was stopped at a red and decided to turn left crossing in front of me. There was a car directly behind him. He luckily got on it hard and left me enough gap to avoid both of them (I would have chosen him if I had to. It was close, I braked hard initially then just concentrated on steering. The way those nannies kicked in in snow was sheer beauty. Swift and effective. I'm pretty confident in snow and have 4 snow tires on right now. I'm not afraid of hitting someone at lower speeds if they've done something like that. But those two systems made it look like child's play. I'm truly impressed.

·
Registered
831 Posts
Most of the time I drive like you do. I suspect that ABS function remains active when ESP & TCS are switched off, but I haven't found it in the WIS and also haven't tried any panic stops to prove/disprove. The one decent snow we've had here, my only worry was the other drivers. (y)

Reactions: Chief
21 - 30 of 30 Posts