SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
4,298 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anybody use the sport mode button on their 2008+ 2.0T automatic? Not the Sentronic manual shift mode, but the button with the S on it on the SIDC panel. I tried it and the car downshifts like a stick, and holds the revs on up shifts longer. Anyone else got an opinion?

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Different views on this, I like it on my TX. Mostly the fact it downshifts when you touch the brakes, and tend to keep a lower gear slightly longer. When flooring it, I think it does not matter if its in S or D...
Now, I would like that it starts out in S, anyone knows if that can be programmed somehow, settings or Tech2?

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
IMHO it holds the gears a bit too long, I only use it when I feel the car needs to blow out the cob webs when entering a freeway or in snow. I am fine using the manumatic in snow but the mrs gets lost so for her I just tell her to use the button with the big S on it.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
FYI, the programming between a 2008 and 2010 are much different. On my wife's 2008 it is pretty harsh and holds gears too long. On my 2010 they softened it up quite a bit. I use it quite a bit actually.

·
Super Moderator
1,928 Posts
I would like to ask probably a dumb question but I had tried to search and couldn't find my answer but saw this post.

What is the break down on the Sport Mode feature?
I see early models have a S button, I see talk about 2008+

I don't see this on my 07', just was wonder what got it.

Thank you

·
Registered
253 Posts
I have the car for 2 yrs now and i have only used it for like 5 minutes when I first got the car, no more than 4 times total lol...

·
Registered
17 Posts
I tried it out a few times and the only time I enjoy using it is going down the hills to help engine brake, which I could just as easily use the M mode though.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I would like to ask probably a dumb question but I had tried to search and couldn't find my answer but saw this post.

What is the break down on the Sport Mode feature?
I see early models have a S button, I see talk about 2008+

I don't see this on my 07', just was wonder what got it.

Thank you
I have a 2011 and I don't see the "S" Button either.

·
Registered
122 Posts
2011 the button is not labeled SPORT. It is the VDC button (bottom one) and when you press it, SPORT illuminates on the dash.

·
Registered
122 Posts
2011 the button is not labeled SPORT. It is the VDC button (bottom one) and when you press it, SPORT illuminates on the dash.
Edit to the above, the bottom button is labeled TCS, not VDC. When I push it, SPORT illuminates on the dash. I can feel the transmission transform, overall it down shifts nicely upon lighter acceleration, and upon deceleration as well. I have the 2011 and a 2011 model year SS owners manual, and it does state that you can turn the TCS and ESP off with this button, but nowhere can I find anything about the sport mode indicator. I'm not really sure what this button does. I know it shifts differently, I THINK it turns off TCS, and not sure if it turns off ESP. The ESP would be an important consideration and I guess I'll just have to experiment in the snow. I have found it to be lightning fast and extremely effective in snow. I can't even do a slight drift in snow with ESP on, it does its thing and the car is straight before you even realize what happened. It seems Saab dropped the ball a bit with this SPORT mode, it's not listed anywhere in my manual, nor does it have an S button. But when I push the TCS button, SPORT illuminates on the dash. From what I can gather this button turns off both TCS and ESP, tbh I'm not sure I'd want to drive everyday with these functions off. I've seen how critical they are in emergency situations. It would be nice to have control over different transmission modes without having to turn off these two safety features.

·
Registered
6,212 Posts
I have my -12 9-3.
Bottom button is labelled S and gear stick icon.
ESP is under SID menu and ESP is ON unless you switch it OFF.

TCS/ESP button is bottom in my 03-06 (I have my -06 also).

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
Probably someone replaced the keys panel with a pre2008 that has TCS/ESP, otherwise all 2008up have the sport button instead i think.
By the way, If u do a TCM update that would improve the shift point in the sport mode as well, it will be a little bit smarter and softer

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
I always forget the market differences, sure manual didnt came with one 🤣
We only have the AT here since 2008

·
Registered
122 Posts
Turbo4 is different from SS. Only ECS disable lamp illuminates. AFAICS shift points don't change.
How do you know this ? What does ECS stand for ? Which model does the ECS disable lamp illuminate, the SS or Turbo 4 ? The shift points on my turbo 4 definitely change with depressing the TCS button.

Edit, the bottom button on my 2011 just has a pic of a car with wavy skid tracks behind it. When I depress it, SPORT illuminates on the dash. I'm guessing from what the manual says is that button turns off TCM (traction control management) and ESP (electronic stability program ?) I also notice that the car shifts very nicely with sport mode on, in my opinion. I'm not comfortable driving without these two functions on a regular basis in lieu of the better shifting.

·
Registered
403 Posts
How do you know this ? What does ECS stand for ? Which model does the ECS disable lamp illuminate, the SS or Turbo 4 ? The shift points on my turbo 4 definitely change with depressing the TCS button.

Edit, the bottom button on my 2011 just has a pic of a car with wavy skid tracks behind it. When I depress it, SPORT illuminates on the dash. I'm guessing from what the manual says is that button turns off TCM (traction control management) and ESP (electronic stability program ?) I also notice that the car shifts very nicely with sport mode on, in my opinion. I'm not comfortable driving without these two functions on a regular basis in lieu of the better shifting.
I've driven my 2011 Turbo4 on a 100 mi. round trip twice in the last week, over a mountain on the same route I've driven a lot. Once with ESP on, and once with it off. No discernible difference other than being able to get into a drift with ESP off, and activate ESP momentarily when it's on. Shift points didn't change on 5 spd AT. The manual for my car says only ESP is disabled by the switch, and ESP OFF is the only lamp that lights. There is no SPORT lamp.

ECS was a thinko. I edited it the other day to say ESP when I noticed.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts