SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok i have a friend wiht a 2002 9-5 aero (amazing car) and they are afraid to use sport mode, claiming that it uses more gas. my saab expert/fanatic relative says that sport mode changes the ratios and consumes the same amount of gas as the car would normally. im assuming thats true?

·
Registered
11,030 Posts
How can it change the ratios? All the S mode does is increase throttle sensitivity so you get more acceleration for the same pedal pressure, it will however hold gears longer for better acceleration. Fuel consumption will marginally suffer, but you get to your destination quicker. :cheesy:

·
Registered
596 Posts
Sport mode shifts at higher RPMs in each gear - I am not sure if that translates into "changing the ratios".

Do you use more gas at higher RPMs? I would think so but I could be wrong. If I am right, then Sport mode does indeed use more gas - but I don't think enough more to be afraid of!

G

·
I dont know facts and figures as I dont have a sport button, but if I had one the temptation would be to use it all the time, consiquently accelarating harder and more often :D thus using more petrol. I thought gas was cheaper stateside :confused: If you have an aero you might as well use it ;)

·
Registered
87 Posts
I've found that basically, if you are just using it so you get the better throttle response (as I am, I find the normal mode throttle response too sedate) and not gunning it in Sport mode, the gas mileage is pretty much the same. It gets you up to speed somewhat faster so it is using a bit more gas for that period of time but it uses the same amount of gas if you are cruising at a set speed. I suppose if you are in stop and go, where you are accelerating quite frequently, it would affect the gas mileage more. If you are cruising at say 110 km/h, the gas mileage is the same whether you are in Sport mode or not.

Is there any way to modify the throttle response so that it behaves like the sport mode by default? Once the thing gets going it accelerates breathtakingly but it is a little disconcerting to have little civics pull away from you at the lights. In fact, for most of my driving, I'm not particularly in the high revs or speeds and wish I had more low end oomph.

·
Registered
31 Posts
y get an aero if u r araid to drive it

thats like the grandma i always see in a corvette or some super sports car creeping along holding up traffic

·
Registered
4,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
its a used aero. bought for the sake of a quick engine (boston driving) and nice interior. my friend barely uses sport mode since there isnt really room on most of the roads to open the throttle. mostly spoprt mode is reserved for the highway when the car has the space to accelerate.

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
Funnily enough I only tend to use the Silly button in dense traffic situations to take advantage of the sharper throttle response.

When on the open road the response from the normal mode is sufficient, or I use the M+ sentronic option, which may automatically engage the S mode by default??? as you can't select the s button when in M+ mode...???

·
Registered
2,051 Posts
ya it deffinately gives u much much much better throttle response, it is frickin rediculous the difference that thing makes, and as stated it does make the car stay in the same gear longer. so that being said it will increase gas consumption but not by much at all. its worth it, for the smile it puts on your face.....

I also agree with using it in traffic situsations. i just drove home today not in sport moe for te first time in forever. it sucked.

·
Registered
4,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
well glad to hear that. anyone accidently put it in sport mode once? that happened to my friend and they spun the tires the throttle response is so strong :lol:

·
Registered
87 Posts
aeropilot said:
When on the open road the response from the normal mode is sufficient, or I use the M+ sentronic option, which may automatically engage the S mode by default??? as you can't select the s button when in M+ mode...???
I think the S mode is only for when the car is controlling the transmission. In manual mode you decide when to shift gears. I don't know if the quiker throttle response is there or not.

It seems to me like on the Aero trim, they should have just had the S mode as standard and had a econ or "gas saver" mode.

·
Registered
4,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
but where to put the econ mode button? the windter buttons already in the way. and we NEED that during the winters here. the roads around my area dont often get salted so its a slippery mess for performance tires.

·
Registered
11,030 Posts
A lot of our US owners have two sets of wheels, some nice Saab alloys with performance tyres for the summer, and a set of cheapo non descript alloys with winter tyres for the autumn/winter. It rarely gets that bad in the UK for the need of two sets of wheels.

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
Kermit said:
It rarely gets that bad in the UK for the need of two sets of wheels.
I don't know about that. There is still a good amount of salt chucked on UK roads in the UK in winter, and this can still do a fair bit of damage to a decent set of alloys, which is why I save my nice 18" Hirsch alloys for summer use, and chuck on the standard 17" alloys for winter time. Plus rubber band tyres on 18" rims in winter time can be a bit hairy;)

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
You still calling him "P" :roll:

Round here we call him " " ;)

·
Registered
334 Posts
saabchilten said:
ok i have a friend wiht a 2002 9-5 aero (amazing car) and they are afraid to use sport mode, claiming that it uses more gas. my saab expert/fanatic relative says that sport mode changes the ratios and consumes the same amount of gas as the car would normally. im assuming thats true?
I always drive in sport mode. It's my habit to put it in drive and press sport mode button at the same time. I'll feel that the car is slow if I forget to put it in sport mode. I have tried 4-speed with sport mode too but the difference was hardly noticeable.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I only use the S if I want to move quick or need the high revs. For normal driving I just use the standard auto. The M+ option changes the engine again but not really good in towns. And yes, I do consume more in the S mode.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts