SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1990 vert turbo, 5 speed. 278k miles on the clock.
I have another issue i need to tackle soon. My lifters have been complaining a lot lately (noisy). I've read many threads on lifter noise but none like mine. Typically, when i start the engine up cold i'll hear multiple lifters tapping very loudly. This goes on for awhile, usually up to and when engine gets to operating temps. Then while idling, you will hear first one lifter get quit, then in rapid succession another goes quit and another until the engine is almost completely silent. Then, in maybe 30 seconds to a minute the tapping comes back on multiple lifters and could stay like that for 5 minutes or longer, then goes through a quit cycle again.
anyone have any thoughts on this?
Thanks,

·
Registered
111 Posts
You don't have an oil pressure gauge by any chance, do you? That's the first thing I'd want to check, just to make sure the lifters aren't a symptom of an oil pressure problem.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You don't have an oil pressure gauge by any chance, do you? That's the first thing I'd want to check, just to make sure the lifters aren't a symptom of an oil pressure problem.
not yet but i'm thinking about getting one.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Update: after doing some research i decided to do a engine flush. I ordered this through Amazon:
Fast Flush along with couple cheap Fram oil filters.
I had planned to re-use the oil already in the car after the flush since i only had less than1000 miles on it and its expensive Amsoil along with Archoil friction modifier. But when i dropped the oil to replace with the flush i found this....

I had only done 2 oil changes since owning the car but always dropped the oil right into my oil container so never noticed this sludge.
This is what was in bottom of bucket after dropping the engine flush.

Little bit better.
So, i put some cheap synthetic back in to run for awhile and plan to do another flush in couple hundered miles. see how it is. But one thing for sure, my lifters are completely quite now.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Funny how engines tend to run smoother and quieter when they're clean. Hopefully this solves the problem. I'd still recommend a gauge, if only for peace of mind. Even the cheap triple gauge sets from Amazon are good enough for basic diagnostics, if perhaps not as precisely accurate as some others options.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I agree. I currently have 3 glow shift gages - Fuel pressure, Battery v, and Temp. I started out with the fuel pressure because i was troubleshooting injection issues.
I really need the oil pressure but will have to include 2 more to have another complete row - Symmetry u know:) And before anyone says anything about my bat v being low, took pic with key on, engine off so brake boost and what not were running.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts