SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
All of my undertray guards were cracked somewhere and after looking at the cost of them new, I decided to just make my own. I did a bit of research into front splitters and so on and it was way out my league to make something that was properly functional. Other problem is that splitters are like the new giant wing for cars. I do admit, they look great on the right car, but (IMO) a saab 9-5 that aint. So I made something that crosses the line of a splitter and full undertray. Something a bit for looks and a lot for functionality. I drove through some pretty deep snow yesterday and it performed great. I will do some more driving at high speed and report back.

I cut slots for the open air intake and there is another smaller guard installed just above them to stop snow from filling the fender. Functional.... maybe. In hindsight I probably would not have cut them. I also cut a slot for changing oil. The three spacers are there to properly gap the front. Material is DiBond. Its a solid plastic core with sandwiched by two sheets of aluminum. Light weight and rigid.

Pics on the car. It looks the bees knees if you ask me. :cheesy: Now if I could find a decent spot for that **** license plate. :(

·
Registered
480 Posts
Good work, DiBond looks like a good material for this, I have used a grained abs to do a partial tray but nothing as neat as yours.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Hi there,

Very nice job indeed :) may look at doing the same to mine.

Did you buy new screws too? If so are they going into existing mounting points?

Michael

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
Very tidy, looks excellent in fact! :cool:

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the compliments guys! :cool: My hope was that some of you might be inspired. It was quite easy and just required good tracing skills and a steady hand on the jig saw.

Hi there,

Very nice job indeed :) may look at doing the same to mine.

Did you buy new screws too? If so are they going into existing mounting points?

Michael
I did use new screws and a couple new bolts all around. The front ones that attach to the lip (you can see in the pic) are hex head sheet metal screws. New holes were required here and just screw into the bottom side of the lip. The rear of the undertray is attached at two points with bolts in existing holes. Hopefully it wont rip off at 100mph. :p

·
Registered
4,845 Posts
Let us know what you think of it at high speed.

I was always under the impression that the front bumpers on these cars slope upwards towards the front. I hope putting that skid-plate on doesn't produce lift. You should put a level on it and see what angle it's at. If you find it's not at the angle you'd like, putting washers as spacers on should be an easy fix. :p

P.S. How is the snow driving with those BFGoodrich's? :eek:

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I certainly will let you know. It was a concern of mine when I put it on. Although there is not as much surface area, the stock guards seem to be put on in a similar angled fashion. Maybe I will put canards on to negate the effects..... jk :p

haha! the BFGs suck in the snow. I always hold out until the last minute with the snow tire. I put them on last night and Im glad I did. We are getting hammered with snow and crazy high wind. If I had to wager a guess, its a 60+mph sustained wind right now. (@ 9,500 ft.) Thats nearly a category 1 hurricane. :eek:

·
Registered
4,845 Posts
I certainly will let you know. It was a concern of mine when I put it on. Although there is not as much surface area, the stock guards seem to be put on in a similar angled fashion. Maybe I will put canards on to negate the effects..... jk :p

haha! the BFGs suck in the snow. I always hold out until the last minute with the snow tire. I put them on last night and Im glad I did. We are getting hammered with snow and crazy high wind. If I had to wager a guess, its a 60+mph sustained wind right now. (@ 9,500 ft.) Thats nearly a category 1 hurricane. :eek:
I noticed that as well, but I think since it's behind the lip it may negate the angle a bit. But I suppose we'll find out! :cool: In my opinion I would rather have a slight bit of downforce than lift, particularly on a car who's front wheels are so important to every bit of it's performance.

I figured as much haha. Is it unseasonable weather for you guys right now? We're getting a pretty early winter here in Oregon, I'm lovin it! :p

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I figured as much haha. Is it unseasonable weather for you guys right now? We're getting a pretty early winter here in Oregon, I'm lovin it! :p
It was unusual to have so much wind, but the snow usually starts sticking in town this time of year. You always have to make sure you plan a halloween costume that is nice and warm. You wont see too many of the skimpy girl outfits. This year the wife and I are going to be cavemen. (cavewomen :p )

·
Registered
685 Posts
Let us know what you think of it at high speed.

I was always under the impression that the front bumpers on these cars slope upwards towards the front. I hope putting that skid-plate on doesn't produce lift. You should put a level on it and see what angle it's at. If you find it's not at the angle you'd like, putting washers as spacers on should be an easy fix. :p

P.S. How is the snow driving with those BFGoodrich's? :eek:
here is a guy in sweden with a splitter on his 2002 9-5. looks good.

http://www.garaget.org/?car=85933

·
Registered
4,845 Posts
That is awesome, I would personally make the mounts black, but I don't like bling very much.

mt.aero, I think you should go for it! :cool:

You may want to change the mount points to something off the bumper and to soemthing that's fairly solid. Reason being that bumper will flex quite a bit with a splitter on it.

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well, I had the car at 100+ over the weekend and the undertray performed well. There was no noticable difference in downforce at least that I could tell. Maybe this summer the tray will get modified to a splitter, but Im going to leave it be for the winter.

·
Registered
64 Posts
My attempt to improve aerodynamics of Edna... 3mm very durable and rigid plastic+front wheels aero dams/spoilers from Bmw e90 (leftovers from other car).
It works fine, hard to tell by how much it has changed anything but at least it made the front bumper/wheel liners a bit more rigid at the bottom section (they are all bolted together).

Attachments

1 - 17 of 17 Posts