SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just went though the muscle pulling task of replacing rusty tie rod ends with new Moogs on my 89 conv., and when I started tightening the nut at the bottom, the bolt/shaft keeps spinning. Anyone have any suggestions to tightening them? One tie rod end won't even let me loosen the nut to take it off.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Try tapping the tapered threaded shaft down into the spindle arm to see if you can get enough friction to allow for tightening.

If the old tie rod end is now off the spindle, it may be hard to break loose the stop nut because of the lack of leverage. Try putting the old one back into the spindle so it will remain fixed while you pull on the stop nut while using the flat on the tie rod end as a back-up.

Don't forget to count the number of threads behind the lock nut so you have the new tie rod ends in the identical place as the old ones once the install is finished.

Good luck!

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Gabby said:
Try tapping the tapered threaded shaft down into the spindle arm to see if you can get enough friction to allow for tightening.

If the old tie rod end is now off the spindle, it may be hard to brake loose the stop nut because of the lack of leverage. Try putting the old one back into the spindle so it will remain fixed while you pull on the stop nut while using the flat on the tie rod end as a back-up.

Don't forget to count the number of threads behind the lock nut so you have the new tie rod ends in the identical place as the old ones once the install is finished.

Good luck!
No, I'm talk about where it bolts to the steering knuckle. I'm sorry I wasn't clear. I have the new tie rod ends on the spindle and locked. It's just connecting them to the knuckle and that bolt facing downward to the ground.

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
I think Gabby covered both ends of the tie-rod end in his post. I modified a c-clamp to hold the tapered part that passes through the steering knuckle, but I only used it a few times. A light tap with a hammer is about all it takes to hold it seated while tightening the nut. sometimes I threaten them with the c-clamp and use the hammer anyway.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts