SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
suspension, rims, and APC are also different... they look sooooooooo much better than a standard turbo

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
yah, the boost rise rate is higher, and so is the max boost... lucky! i would love to have one, though you can mod a standard APC box to the same spec

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So it is a good base car for moding? I have a audi now but i hate the car and its slow. Hopefully the saab will be a good car.

·
Registered
310 Posts
any classic 900, in decent working order, is an excellent base for modding. rather significant increases in power output can be had for a rather low cost.

starting with an spg, you are easily a couple of steps ahead of someone starting with a base model.

i think the biggest problem you will have, living in New England... well, anywhere but where i am... is rust.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Well, if its an spg, than it should look like this http://s230.photobucket.com/albums/ee292/pinnigerk/?action=view&current=saab.jpg :cheesy: you will be happy with yourself if you get an spg, i was. Difference is 3 spoke aero wheels, lowered suspension,buffalo grey leather seats/ power everthing, body kit. They come in black or gray, and are de-badged except for a single saab emblem on the trunk lid. Enjoy :cheesy:

·
Registered
139 Posts
I hate the grey...all the black 900's I see around here look much better. Kinda nice though not having any badgeing other then the "SAAB/Scania" on it though.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Just get a full pressure T16, and save the money you'd spend on the spg for upgrades.

You can get leather seats in non spg 900s right?

·
Registered
11,140 Posts
mikewitdaspike said:
but why would you want them? :confused:
They're easier to keep clean and don't retain odors.

Only real downside is they can be hot as skillets in the summer....

The Elmo leather on the seating surfaces is prety high-quality stuff. If maintained regularly, it will last for ages and still look great.

·
Registered
18,382 Posts
mike saunders said:
They're easier to keep clean and don't retain odors.

Only real downside is they can be hot as skillets in the summer....

The Elmo leather on the seating surfaces is prety high-quality stuff. If maintained regularly, it will last for ages and still look great.
Main downside to the leather is the stitching goes. I don't think maintenance can help here. I'm not fat and I wrecked a beautiful driver's seat (best one I've ever seen) from a 87 SPG in about four months of driving. Well that's just the stitching for ya. This is a "Bridge of Weir, fine Scottish leather for SAAB" one, no Sesame Street puppets were harmed in the making of this chair ;)

Also another problem is it may not have been maintained well either.

On US models leather seats came standard on the 900 S, 900 Turbo and 900 SPG for 1990 and above. For '93 I think the 900 S had optional leather but the 900 S for these years was more like the 900 i of old.

My 89 900 T had leather too, it was part of the "Executive Appointments Package" for most of the 1980's.

Generally my experience with the 900 is that the cloth tends to wear better than the leather generally speaking. The leather when perfect feels nicer than the cloth when perfect but the cloth holds you in better and it's warmer (not a problem with heated seats).

As for keeping clean the leather is much nicer than the cloth, the cloth (particularly beige) tends to get "black" and I haven't figured out how to clean it. The grey cloth for it's worth tends to turn purple over time which is weird and also ugly. The burgundy cloth also can change colour from solar radiation but not as bad as the grey (I don't think any "true" grey seats exist anymore they are all now purple).

·
Registered
528 Posts
As an owner of an SPG. I'd say the cars look meaner, handle a little better. But for the money a stock C900 with mods is the way to go.

I plan on doing some drastic sheet metal mods and how many people out there would be appalled to cut up an spg??????

I for one think the stock C900 T16 is a great place to start especially if you plan to do all out mods like lower the rad, coil over suspension, etc.

The SPG's are considered much more collectable and valuble and with the start up expense (2k vs 200.00usd) makes for a lot of mod's for the money.

Now me saying all this in the early days of SAABing I wouldn't have modified anything and would have been totally excited and in love with a stock SPG. (dream car right)

Now, as I've gotten over the buying original SAAB parts from SAAB and restoring everything I've come to realize that SAAB did a great job but there is some areas that need improvement. This is where I'm willing to change now.

Anyhow, If you plan to stick with stock suspension, some engine, FMIC, boost/turbo/APC upgrades maybe some Koni's or Bilsteins, maybe different rims and tires than an SPG being a collecter's car is perfect.

More major sheet metal mods I think it more befitting to cut up a standard T16, 1st since there still plenty around and other since the value isn't as high.

I by the way will be cutting up my SPG for some Carbon Fiber fender flares at some point. But then again it will also get rid of some rust in the fenders that would need replacement anyhow.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I am getting the car for free so i wont be paying anything for it. But the car isnt in perfect shape either. The car idles real ruff and runs rich at idle. As far as rust there isnt alot just surface.

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
87aeroT said:
I am getting the car for free so i wont be paying anything for it. But the car isnt in perfect shape either. The car idles real ruff and runs rich at idle. As far as rust there isnt alot just surface.
5 speed? i'll trade you straight up, sound system included :cheesy:

·
Registered
10,081 Posts
900t said:
This is a "Bridge of Weir, fine Scottish leather for SAAB" one
Are there two different types of leather for c900s? My seats are stitched differently to damn near every photo I've seen - the centre "ladder" section goes all the way to the front of the base, rather than the rounded bit everybody else seems to have, and there's not the "Bridge of Weir" tag on the head restraint.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts